Interfering Neighbour

Guest DanRyalls

Guest DanRyalls

My next door neighbour (who just loves to interfere) heard my car running the other day and commented that the popping soung I get from my exhaust may be due to tight tappets. IS THIS POSSIBLY CORRECT (as much as I would hate him to be correct - I would like to know?)

Engine is a 2.0 pinto

Thanks Dan

Tight tappets? might have to expand that... popping from the exhaust is normally (my understanding) due to a slightly rich mixture I (does this normally happens whn you throttle down?) so some fuel gets into the exhaust and the heat ignites it.

Guest Roger 2B

You haven't said when it is popping - makes a big difference.

Mine used to pop and bang very badly on the overrun. After having it set up on a rolling road it has almost gone - much more pleasant now. On the rollers the ignition was advanced from where it was and the mixture was richened up.

Guest boggie

When I first fitted my twin 45s I would get poping AND flames coming out of the exhaust ends at high rev engine braking. :o

Very entertaining but after I got the car rolling road tuned the poping is cut to a minimum and no flames. The tappets idea sounds like $hite to me! As long as the car is properly set up I would enjoy the poping on overrun :D

Boggie

Guest alan rowe

I go with that Jim - my left hand side started popping and after a while fiddling with the mixture found that one of the bolts on the manifold was loose - problem sorted

Alan

All very clever. But I just love the explosions I get as I plummet downhill. Probably one of the best things I love about my hood.Vandal on four wheels. :D