2B Rear Tub.

Guest ChickenLittle

Guest ChickenLittle

Please excuse my ignorance but did the produce a onew piece rear section for a 2b as I think that would look better than having lines and sealant!!

If so, where can I find one???

I have plans to make my 2b very tidy now that I've decided to keep it!😈😈😈

Thanks

Liam

as far as i am aware there was no production 1 piece rear for the 2b. The early 2b's had wings that were formed into sides as well and then a flat piece across the back joined them. I think these were used on the earlier models too.

I guess it all comes down to preference but the bolt on wing setup is the same as the Caterham (which is what RH were getting as close to as possible without getting sued). have a look at a pic of a caterham and the 2b and you'll see the shape is extremely close (although the 2b is larger overall). Most other sevens have more of a difference from the caterham. The westfield for example has quite a distinctive bonnet and rear.

GBS did do the superspec wings which are all fibreglass but you would still have the join to the body, they also sit lower so you need an infill panel above.

hth

Guest ChickenLittle

Ah right, my exmo had those sides on as it was the thing that struck me as being smart because you couldn't see a join onto the wheel arches.

Right so are the early 2bs the same dimensions as the 2b with wishbones as that's what mine might be but I'm not sure as there is a receipt for a wishbone set up!

I am keeping it now as I'm getting to love the pinto now cos it's so damn strong.

I cooked it last Sunday and popped a hole on the core plug,topped up the water and drove home leaving a trail like a slug.

I popped new core plug in and refilled the coolant and bobs your mum's brother it was aa good as gold!!

The 2b with sliding pillar, wishbones or mini-mcpherson should all be the same rear (i think) as they all use the sierra subframe on the rear.

If you have wishbones on the front, that fit into box section then it will be a wishbone version. If you have what looks like 2 wishbones that are fixed rigid to the chassis then it will be a sliding pillar. Or there was a version with a fixed upper wishbone that used a mini-mcpherson strut and the lower part was the sierra arm and tiebar.

Yeah the pinto might not be the most sophisticated but it keeps on going.

You could probably get those from an exmo and fiberglass the rear section in to make a complete rear.

Guest 2b cruising

I know first hand that the early one piece side and wing are no longer available.

My car is at GBS at the moment. Accident damaged. They have to cast a new one. If they cannot find the mood, they are making slightly different ones from a mood they know they do have.

They were not prep aired to fit two super spec saying it could not be done.

I'm sure it could be done with some fettle get and fill in panels.

Anyone already done this? Pictures please.

Would be great to get this done.

Edited by 2b cruising

My car is at GBS at the moment. Accident damaged. They have to cast a new one. If they cannot find the mood, they are making slightly different ones from a mood they know they do have.

What mood are they trying to find, happiness? :rofl:

autocorrect?

bit confused why they said they could fit superspec wings. I didn't think the rear chassis tubes were different so a sheet steel rear panel is needed, the 2 superspec wings and 2 infill panels. Just like on a superspec. ??

Guest 2b cruising

Mood. Mould. Good day and bad days.

GBS said super spec would not fit.

Another well known member said they will.

Painting the car. ? Still thinking about it. Maybe when I get it back.

Maybe you have an earlier chassis with slightly different shape or something. The only difference i know of is that the roll bar support tubes where they hit the rear horizontal bar they are splayed out on the later version but straight down on the earlier version. The later version was so the fuel filler could be put into the rear panel.

So unless they haven't got a rear panel without a hole (can't see why they couldn't make one) there should be no reason they can't do superspec. The superspec was just a 2b with a few trick bits made up to rolling chassis, as far as i am aware.

ready to be proved wrong :)

Dug out my "Boys Book of Cars" ( Robin Hood edition -- features lightweight & Rager models ) & the photos of the 2B chassis & the Super Spec seem to be identical from the cock-pit rearwards. The only differences I can see are in the engine bay.