Adjusting Tacho Output On Emerald K7

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

I have connected my older smiths style tacho to my emerald k7 ecu and it's reading a far higher rpm than the engine is actually kicking out.

Anybody know if the emerald tacho output is adjustable ??

I have emailed emerald but keep having email issues with them.

It's possible the tacho is simply not compatible, but hopefully I can adjust the ecu output rather than having to replace with a new tacho

Anybody any ideas

Dave

Guest david_l_perry

Nothing on the back of my tacho other than three wires. Main positive and negative input and what I assume is the original coil feed.

Certainly no dip-switches.

Guest david_l_perry

Cheers Mitch. Hopefully if it's just triggered from numbers of pulses, and I can adjust the ECU pulses it should work.....

Just looked at the software and it's certainly there to adjust

This is certainly one of those 'save all settings before I feck it up' situations....

Guest Ian & Carole

Put a wanted on here Dave I know I gave a member a 6 cylinder one that I dad from when I bought my Dolomite dash set that turned out to be from a triumph 2000.

Sure there will be some knocking around.

Not sure but I think they can be "adjusted to accept 6 cylinder input.

Try Richfield in Nottingham.

http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/tachometer.html

The older smith tachos are setup for 4 cylinders....if you have 6 (good but still not enough!)

the tacho will over read by 50%.

My old one could be adjusted, but only marginally.

IMHO the best bet is to plug on with Emerald & see if the tacho output can be set for a 6 cylinder,

Emerald K6 configuration guide - P4

ECU Configuration tabs -> Distributor / Crank sensor options -> Tacho Signnal multipler

Quote:

A “Tacho signal multiplier” is also found within the Engine position sensing window and can be used to adjust the ECU’s Tacho output signal in order to compensate for any tolerances/inaccuracies that may be present in the physical tachometer or for a tachometer that is preset for another engine type.

? Thats all it says though - looks like the default value is 1.

(I know its not the K7 manual, but I found some info on K6 was in the K3 manuals and not necessarily reproduced in later manuals)

You get the option to specify how many cylinders here which is probably what you are after ?

Simon.

Guest david_l_perry

Changing the number of cylinders on this page is (I think) to change the actual engine manegement and not just for the tacho feed.

I may be being dim here, but does a tacho not just read a series of pulses, so if i can slow the pulses down at the ecu, should it not result in the rpm dropping ??

Guest david_l_perry

Cheers chaps. First thing I do when I get the car back will be to back up the map and configeration files and then I can try adjusting the tacho output.

Guest david_l_perry

All sorted. First thing I did was save the configuration file and Maps.....

Next just adjusted the tacho output multiplier on the emerald software on the pc and my old smiths Tach now reads exactly the same as the live screen.

Job done and thanks !

Just spotted I wrote that it's the K7 unit....it should read K6.

Dave