Mazda Zero Rolling Road

WallerZ

So this morning I went along to my first rolling road day following a rather humbling experience at Castle Combe last weekend having a lot of cars drive straight past me. I was going to use this to find out how many horses my car had lost and also what power I was putting out as a benchmark for my proposed engine swap over winter.

So, the car, Mazda Zero, 1.6L, nothing special, all from a 1990 Mk1 Mx5, standard ecu, standard intake - if not somewhat more restrictive than the MX5, MX5 gearbox, diff etc.

My expectations were low, maybe down fom 115bhp Standard to around the 80bhp mark.......Turns out it was producing 113bhp at the flywheel!!! And 96 lb-ft. Wow. I must say, I was incredibly surprised and actually quite pleased with that, especially as I was expecting to see less that 3 figures! So, with a new air filter and intake set up I think I could free up a few more horses.

Anyway, not a bad benchmark ready for the engine swap, but will be very interesting looking to almost double the power :crazy:

• Like 1

Guest mower man

Good figs for std 1.6 add a K+N cone kit 57i [ims]may give you another 3/4 , check ign timing and reset to 14 btdc and may be 3/4 more getting very close to a gen 120 in some thing probably 150 kilos lighter may be even more nice one mick

I can vouch for that ha ha...don't bother putting another engine in.... Charge your existing one. Mine was 125 horses and 100 lb torque...... Now 230 horses and 210 lb torque... It does make a slight difference

• Like 1

I can vouch for that ha ha...don't bother putting another engine in.... Charge your existing one. Mine was 125 horses and 100 lb torque...... Now 230 horses and 210 lb torque... It does make a slight difference.

I don't think much will be passing me at Blyton next Sunday