Electrics And Ecu

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Hi guys, me again.

For those who haven't seen any of my previous posts, I've been building a 2b with a 2.0 zetec on bike carbs (keihin) off a gsr650 I've been told but I'm not sure.

My question or questions rather, are...

The engine came with an old tatty cut up wiring loom so went out and bought a new one. I'm planning on getting an auto electrician to do all the wiring as its like rocket science to me. But before I do that I need to figure out the ecu route?

I haven't got one yet so I'm looking at options. I've found 3 so far which are...mega jolt, mega squirt(both come as a kit with new leads coil pack etc etc) and then there is the nodiz 3d which according to what I've read, is just a plug and play system providing the crank sensor and coil pack are oem quality?

As far as I know that's all I need to get wiring wise? If I've missed anything please let me know.

They are all roughly the same price but I'm kind of swayed toward the nodiz 3d simply because of the plug and play aspect and it comes mapped?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Thanks for the quick reply. That's the busty of this forum, quick and helpful.

I have emailed the company for all the info you've mentioned I'm just waiting on a reply however I didn't mention about came or changing inlet manifold.

I have seen a lot of people on here mention the mega jolt and the mega squirt. I've heard the mega squirt works on both carbs and injectors? Which if handy if I was planning on changing? Again I'm not sure how true this is. But I'm not really planning on doing anything major like that I just want to get it running on what I've got so that narrows it down to the mega jolt and the nodiz 3d

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

That settles it, megajolt it is. I messaged nodiz 3d a few days ago and still no reply so I'm going to go with the fact they can't be all that good as they would of answered me by now for sure?

Would I need anything else to get the car to start?

now that's just being lazy with the pre wired loom it helps if you buy there vr sense connector and coil pack connector if its not already on the lazy pre wired loom

Edited by tractor

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

As mentioned I'm no good when it comes to wiring. So rather than. Are a complete mess I'll just get someone else to do it lol, and I haven't purchased it yet. Still weighing up my options but it's in the basket ready, I've gone with the map, but now you've mentioned it I'm not sure which to go with?

Megajolt is an ECU that controls ignition timing only. It can use a three dimensional table to work out the ideal timing of the spark. Three major factors which alter the ideal timing are engine revs (crank position sensor does index for spark and rev read-out), engine temperature (least effect) and engine load. (Barometric pressure and air temperature also have a small effect on spark, more on injection quantities but they are often ignored.) Megajolt can have load data either from MAP (Manifold absolute pressure) or TPS (Throttle position sensor). For your set-up with one choke per cylinder and no manifold plenum, MAP is less effective than TPS. If you had a single carb or throttle body feeding a manifold plenum that then fed each cylinder MAP would be the more effective load parameter to read but you could still use TPS if you wished.

Megasquirt is a double function ECU. Part of it is a megajolt to control ignition timing and the squirt part is to control fuel injection. You can fit a megasquirt unit and only use the ignition control side. It's not much more expensive and you would have the injection side lying dormant for your future upgrade to injection, if and when.

Megajolt for zetec kit from triggerwheels is an effective way to go and they will replace duff kit and help with advice. They include a refurbished edis unit for the coil drivers. You can choose a plug and play loom for an extra 95 quid.

Nigel

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Thanks for that, Nigel. Learn something new every day. I'm guessing I'll still need to get a universal roger amiable ecu as Well?