Oil Pressure

Guest busman770

Guest busman770

I have a problem with oil pressure when car is hot 2.0 pinto on bike carbs oil light is on i have a pressure gauge and a light on idle when hot at 800 rpm the gauge is showing 0 and light is on take up 2 15000 rpm and its normal 69 78 i have a t piece comeing out the block and i have my oil light in that and my gauge is there not enouth presure for 2 things runing or have i got oil pump ishuies

It is normal for the oil presssure to drop at tick over.

But dropping to 0 is too much.

The pinto bottom end is normally bullet proof but if you really are getting fifteen thousand RPM then you are over reving by a lot.

Having a T for switch and guage will not make any diferance as there is no flow.

The oil light coming on when hot and at tickover is often a sign of a worn engine but could be the wrong oil.

The pinto should have 20-50 grade oil.

Guest Ian & Carole

Engine flush.

Change oil and filter with 20/50 and see what you have then.

If still ticking over at zero then I would suspect big ends and mains are on there way out.

I hope the figure quoted for revs is 1500 RPM and not 15000 or your engine will be in a thousand pieces very soon.

Try upping your tick over to around 900 - 950 and see what you have then.

• 4 months later...
Guest 2b cruising

As you describe your situation, I would consider main bearings to be worn.

If you are rebuilding engine, yes. Why take chances of spoiling your efforts and expenses.

If you are tracking it, consider fitting high pressure, if not, a normal pump and relief valve are more than good enough.

Edited by 2b cruising

Most pumps are modified old stock

It's just a spring for more pressure but flow volume is more important and that is a pump with a longer rotor which has a thicker lid on the pump

Usually described as high pressure high volume

I connected a manual pressure gauge direct to the block so a good way of finding out if there is an issue is to first remove any T pieces and try the switch first and check at idle followed by the gauge then you'll see if it's a connection issue

Thanks for the info. My engine actually idled with very good oil pressure. Engine stripped still running standard shells with no scoring and still in tolerance . I was just going to replace the bearings and rebuild. The oil pump and drive I was going to leave but I would hate to have to take the engine out for the sake of a £20 pump. My concerns are the aftermarket pumps. It's a genuine ford pump that I have at the mo.

Thanks again