Breaks Arnt Good Enough? Redtop 2B

Guest windscreen man

Guest windscreen man

Now that I have the c20xe in my 2b instead of the old pinto, my breaks just dont seem up to the standard i would like with now having 150 at the wheels. I have done away with the break servo (due to a room issue), do i need to go on to bigger callipers or will the standard callipers that i have be safe without a servo???thanx

Hiya Lew,

I run standard calipers, standard disks, drums on the rear, a twin master cylinder from Rally design, no servo, and Mintex MT1144 pads.

I can lock up wheels shod with TOYO 888 tyres.....& theyre sticky, & the pads dont fade even on track

The acid test is.....can you lock the wheels? If so, your brakes are OK but your tyres are the weakest link.

It does take a while to get used to the old school feel of a non servo system

In my day we had brakes worked by rods that you had to adjust by skidding the car, & measuring the length

of the skid marks...and we got 4 gallons of 101 octane with change from a pound, and only bread and dripping for tea...

and then only if we'd been good.....

What was I saying?

• Like 1

Without servo you have to apply a lot more pressure

You can move the pivot point but that could increase pedal travel if you go to far

You can change master cylinder but to get a better feel you'll get longer travel

Bias pedal box should be the way to go

As you will keep calipers whatever you do with master cylinder it could be a goodie to try Mintex 1144 first to see if it gives you the retardation and break feel you like