Running Problems

Guest nigeld

Guest nigeld

:boohoo: Two weeks ago my car running as sweet as a nut developed a misfire under load on or above 4000 revs. Now it starts ok and runs on tickover very smooth but as soon as you drive it become flat at high revs. With very gentle throttle it will get up there but no foot to the floor. I have changed plugs, leads, dist cap, rotor arm, amplifier(flat box on side with six wires going in) coil. When I changed the coil it seems to get worse? Have blown through the fuel system, cleaned fuel filters and cleaned both carbs compleatly Any ideas cos it is driving me mad. Thanks.

Guest daveg

Nigel

Did you use the right coil?

The box with 6 wires is designed to provide only 7volts not 12 for the coil...

Dave

PS sounds like you may have an air leak on the inlet side.

Hi

had this sort of thing with my mates pilgrim sumo when it had a 2.0L pinto in it.

ran ok but flat on high revs turn out to be one of the vacuum pipes had a pin hole in it, number 4 spark plug was not firing in the cylinder when under load but ok at idle.

worth checking

good luck

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

hi

is it points? if so reset but it deffo sounds like a air leak.iv just fitted my block and got it running the engine was blind so it was just pot luck for me...blind=not in a car so never heard it run...but when i put on some revs it was poping farting and backfireing i reset points and it run loads better but it was up and down so off came the carb reseald and re test all now ok

hope this helps

ps if you do reseal with silicone let it dry befor you hammer it

olly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nigeld
:D Thanks to all those who replied. The problem is now sorted. God save us from gifted amateurs. The running problem started with a small grub screw falling out of the bottom of one of the 45's. This allowed the primary to stop working and unbalance the carb. In my search to find a cure I took of the air filters and ram pipes so I could get to the electrics. On one of my many test runs the primary jet shot out of the carb and was lost. I found this on my return so took out the other one to get a replacement from Southern Carbs. On return I managed to install both jets the wrong way round which caused the bad running problems. Simple mistake I have been told, doesn't make me feel any better, but thanks to all who helped and Southern Carbs in Wimbledon for eventually fixing the problem.

When posting the original question it pays to give as much history of the problem as possible to give to answerers a fighting chance of offering help. Sounds like what you are saying is that the screw holding one of the chokes in your 45's fell out freeing one of the chokes which then fell out and you missfitted the replacement and remaining choke. On second thoughts additional info probably would not have helped.

Nigel