Too Hot To Trot!

Guest riber3

Guest riber3

My thanks to wheely good builder who's points about modern cars are very apt and again getting good airflow is a big help however just to emphaize that cermakote is a chemical baking process similar to ceramic but used by a lot of motorsport including F1 and has proved very successful.

I've run my 2B for 10 years with various engines, pinto with four branch manifold, C20XE redtop with four branch and for the last 3 years with a Z20LET turbo engine. Never had to wrap any of the exhausts to deal with excessive under bonnet temperatures.

Good air flow is key to keeping the temperature acceptable but it's also worth checking your fuelling, if you're running lean this can produce excess heat in the exhaust.

Wrapping doesn't really cure the issue, it just moves it further down the exhaust.

Guest mcramsay

The difference is an f1 car has a lot going on under the bonnet and the exhausts will be running far hotter than anything in a seven, plus the need to maximise efficiency and not waste losing heat into another component that will then need to be cooled down again.... I feel things like ceramic coating have a time and a place, if it was cheap to do I would say fill your boots and I expect we would all have it done! But I don't think engine bay temps have ever been such a problem that it is an essential. Get some vents on the bonnet so you get a good flow route through the engine bay and things should be fine!

From school science days -- I remember that a polished surface will reflect more heat than a dull surface -- even if that polish is on the outside the heat will be contained in the exhaust pipe -- so polish your tubes!!

One last point on cooling really rather than specifically underbonnet heat is grill mesh size. I used to run with the old RH 'ovenshelf' bars till I got a stone in the rad. I now use the mesh below which reduces airflow by about a third. I did have a finer mesh than shown which looked nicer but it boiled all the time, even at a steady motorway 70. Surprising how restrictive ANY mesh is. So if you do have a small mesh take it off and have a drive without. You will run much cooler.

Nigel

• Like 1

Guest riber3

Blimey I think some people got a little overexcited last night LOL!!! but Nigel made a very good point about mesh size on your grill can make a big difference. As for my tubes they are stainless and polished but a valid point all the same.

Everyone agrees that airflow is paramount but I was just trying to show what options are available and its amazing how many people have agreed that high temp paint is a waste of time but I do see a lot of motorbikes with black painted pipes!!! Some I have noticed have even used barbecue paint. Maybe they know something we don't????

And continuing the school boy science ( as remembered ) the bike pipes are in free air so a matt black finish should help reduce temperature further down the pipe.

Would that lead to better evacuation of exhaust; as it now occupies less volume ??

Getting too deep for me now, brain fade setting in.