Steering Collumn Electrics

blue

Hi does anyone have a wiring diagram of what wires on the collumn link with what to allow me to rewire my loom

I've looked in my workshop manual but it's quite poor to be honest

what I'm trying to do is make my own loom from scratch but am struggling to find what wires go where to give me headlights/wipers etc

my switches have the square hazard button not the round one

• 5 months later...
Guest Tazza67

Hi Blue,

Did you get anywhere with this? I am currently in the same situation however car is 250miles away and I'll be home for a week in August so trying to figure out everything I need beforehand.

Thanks,

Suzanne

Guest Tazza67

Hi Longboarder,

Build stage is pretty much everything is on the car... interior to go in all the IVA stuff to be sorted. Car has been sat for a couple of years with minimal progress as I have been at uni and then got myself a grad job in the midlands.

Relooming partly because of problems but also it's another learning experience for me... wiring and electrics have never been my strong point but I quite like a challenge.

Progress so far:

- Connectors bought, I want to be able to take everything on and off the car if needed down the line.

- Wiring diagram started, I'll post a link when it's a bit tidier!

Car is down in Newquay but I'm currently in Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Suzanne

Edited by Tazza67

My first bit of advice would be to choose the connectors you want to use carefully. Ideally double crimp non insulated as used by many manufacturers and buy a good crimp tool. The connectors can be round or blade but as most electrical fittings come with blade connectors I would stick with them. There several blocks with 2/4/6/8/10 etc spaces for connectors from the likes of Vehicle Wiring Products and other companies on the web to buy in bulk and cheaply. I have used them in my build and ten years + on they are still electrically good and secure. No solder advised.

I will do a column switch wiring diagram and post it up soon.

Nigel

Guest Tazza67

Thanks Nigel.

I currently have some super seal connectors from 1-6 pins on their way from China. We run them on our electric powered cars which are entered into the Greenpower series and seem to hold up well even in the extreme wet! Previously compared the ones from China to the ones from RS components etc and can't spot the difference.

I'm aiming to keep the same fuse box... but I am struggling to remember exactly what connectors are used to go into it... any chance of a link or picture to the correct ones please? (car being so far away makes this much more difficult)

Brilliant news on the diagram, thanks!

Suzanne

Here is a rundown on early column stalks. Cluttered pic but there is a lot left out that would have confused it even more. Should be enough to get it working. Watch out for pins that ford may have moved round as there may be variations. The pins are all identified with tiny numbers cast into the plastic of the switches.

Nigel

post-21-0-90860200-1469536719_thumb.jpg

Guest Tazza67

Thanks...not going for wipers or a screen just yet.

Having a few issues with the Haynes manual... Is it a relay for dipped beam and another relay for main beam?

Think my diagram and fuse ratings will then pretty much be ready for some scrutiny :)

Thanks!

Edited by Tazza67

Guest Tazza67

Thanks Nigel!

I've started a new thread as felt I have slightly hijacked this one... called 'EXMO Re-wire' any advice on the wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated!

Suzanne