Coolant Header Tank Wanted

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest jimmytwobikes

:help:I am looking for a horizontal header tank to fit onto the bulkhead of my 2B, seen some nice ally ones on ebay etc, but very expensive. does anyone know of a reasonably priced alternative please?

Guest jimmytwobikes

thanks for the link, but at £112 for a header tank, its too expensive for me, I was looking on ebay and saw one for £60 which I thought was expensive. I was rather hoping someone had found one on a standard car that fitted ok.

Guest 2b cruising

Unfortunately kit cars come under the dreaded title of pastime, or hobby.

Open to abuse for retailers. Just like any other hobby, they know we love our cars and think we are all stupid.

Won't a plastic one do from a breakers yard, or can't you find something to adapt.

Whatever you do don't mention racing. The price will at least double again.

Or --- what's wrong with the "standard" radiator c/w pressure cap & spit /suck expansion bottle ? You're down to a few quid then, just need a cycle drinks bottle & a piece of small tube -- or a drinks can. Any cheaper & you'll be paid for the idea.

Guest jimmytwobikes

Thank you for your comments, very helpful. I was thinking of an expansion tank from the rad cap overflow, but my rad has been placed in an odd position and everytime I fill it to the rad cap lip and go for a run, when it has cooled down the level has dropped halfway down the rad, I think it is finding its own level on a par with the engine? anyway I reckoned a header tank with pressure cap placed above the rad would keep the coolant in. One of those horizontal ally ones would do the job nicely and look good too, but so expensive!! I would really like to look at a few other cars to see how owners have solved this problem.

Guest 2b cruising

I have used a 16 psi rad cap, with the overflow pipe going into a plastic bottle.

The tube goes right to the bottom so the bottle so that the coolant is sucked back into the radiator.

My bottle is the old Sierra header tank made from sturdy plastic.

It is also fitted below the hight of the radiator.

If you are running warm, clear ancillaries from the front of the radiator to increase air flow and try to seal the sides of the radiator so the flow has nowhere else to go.

Another cause of running to warm can be the air cannot escape from under the bonnet unless you have vents in it, or like me. I have a gap on the bonnet to scuttle joint. This gives a good flow of air from under bonnet.

start looking at various solutions.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=kit+car+radiator+diagram&oq=kit+car+radiator+diagram&gs_l=img.3...7737.11235.0.11959.7.7.0.0.0.0.70.408.7.7.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0.vx7nUROhr0k

As many have suggested, my advice is keep it simple.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=kit+car+radiator+diagram&oq=kit+car+radiator+diagram&gs_l=img.3...7737.11235.0.11959.7.7.0.0.0.0.70.408.7.7.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0.vx7nUROhr0k#imgrc=pDNXuS6B-sEmyM%3A

fill the system, run up to temp with the rad cap off.

when the water starts to swirl in the rad filler neck, (thermostat open)

keep topping it up. fit the radcap.. it must be one with a spring

& a good rubber seal at the top & the bottom of the cap

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/radiator-cap-rubber-upper-seal-14lb

Fit rubber pipe to the rad overflow pipe, run it DOWN to the bottom of a small (1/2 litre) bottle

Half fill the overflow bottle.

When the engine gets hot, water will flow out into the overflow bottle.

As it cools, the UPPER rubber seal means it will suck water back from the

overflow bottle. Thats a tried & tested Hoodie solution (ie its cheap & it works)

Jjob done.

Edited by Bob Tucker

Keep it simple.

No need for a header tank, follow Kens idea.

A few things to check.

The Rad cap must have 2 rubber seals, one at the top one at the bottom.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/radiator-cap-rubber-upper-seal-13lb

The pipe must run to the bottom of the over flow bottle.

Remove the rad cap, fill the system, run to temperature leaving the cap off.

When the thermostat opens, you will see the water swirling, leave it a few more minutes, top up again,

then replace the cap.

Half fill the overflow bottle.

As the engine cools, it will suck water back from the bottle. When it heats up it will flow into the bottle

which acts as reservoir.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-vitesse-radiator-late/