Adivce For New Member Wanting To Build For First Time

Guest dwda123

Guest dwda123

Hi all,

Joined the site a while back but now I'm seriously thinking of building.

So many questions to ask, probably a lot of them been asked before.

Firstly what's the feeling about the Ford based Gbs and opposed to the Mazda based ?

I'm going to be looking for a donor car soon, what's the criteria to keep the original number etc.

Can anybody recommend or piont me in the right direction to get such info. Ideally it would be great to get hold of a builing manual,

just in case it's beyond me, as we can all dream sometimes.

I would be grateful for any info that can be offered,

thanks in advance,

Malcolm

Malcolm. Firstly, there is no build manual but if you search Google you will find several build blogs that detail the build. It is not a hard build and if you have some basic skills, you should be OK. As for Ford vs Mazda, that is personal taste. If you go the Ford route, you could buy pretty much everything new so you could get a new registration, but don't be naive about the cost, you may not see much change from at least £15K! If you go the Mazda route, you can use a lot of the donor vehicle and get an age related plate, although it will not be the same one as the donor car. The cost will be a lot less.

Hopefully others can add a bit more for you, but I would definitely recommend coming along to the National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh at the start of May. You will get to see lots of cars and get chance to talk to the owners in more depth.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snowy2

If you start from scratch just use the donor engine and box ...from what ever donor you choose.

don't stress about if it's got 50 or250 hp. There is a whole load of bollox spoken about performance the fact is many cars get abandoned as the cost when tuning and modifying can very quickly get out of hand.

Guest lotusPaul

I hope I'm saying anything wrong here..but look in the for sale section at the GBS zero...part built, loads of stuff already done, and probably going to go for less than originally paid for..I've built a fair few kitcar in my time and mostly all from abandoned projects. When you have made your choice I'd look in the for sale sections and grab yourself a bargain.