Starter Button Issues

Thrashed

Hi all

Over the last few runs I have started to have an issue with my starter switch.

I have it set so that you have to turn the key to the crank position and then hit the button for it to crank.

Now what is starting to happen is that the engine is cranking from the key without having to push the button.

The button is a savage switch and I suspect the switch might be Fubar, but before getting carried away could I be missing something simply?

Thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Finally got to full the switch out and check it.

I have the savage starter switch (small one) and between pins 1 and 2 there is no reading at all when button not pushed and then I get a reading when the button is pushed.

I also did a continuity test on the 2 terminals and again all working as expected. My only concern is that I have basically cut the wire that runs to the starter solenoid and put the switch in. The switch is rated for 6amp, but I have no idea how much current the starter motor solenoid would draw? Could I be just over stressing the switch as I do not have any other relays in place?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Guest 2b cruising

For safety sake I would put a simple 4 pin relay anything over about 15 amp should do it.

That relay would draw minimal through your expensive switch.

I know I would not like to burn one out.

Thanks for the tip Richard. No evidence that they have been contacting but might beef up the head shrink to be 100%

Ken, how do you wire in a rely?

Savage do a slightly bigger switch of the same version which is rated at 15amp, would this be easier?

Relay pin 30 12v+ pin 87 starter solenoid pin 85 one side of your savage switch pin 86 to earth. Other side of switch needs a switched 12v+

Hi dan. Just a few questions. The current switch is basics in the black/ blue wire from the starter switch to the starter solenoid.

The end that runs from the solenoid would now run to pin 87 on the relay. Is this right? I had this originally on pin 2 on the savage switch.

Where do I connect the black/blue that runs from the switch now? Originally I had this on pin 1 on the savage switch

Pin 30, does this need to be a permenant live or a switched live?

I really want to keep the rewiring down to a minimum, so would be happier to spend the money and get a switch able to handle the amps as I have it wired.