Front Shocks

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

I have a 2b anyone know the best place to get some decent shocks from need to raise my car up at the front the sumps too low and the standard shocks are rubbish

have you got the RH optional front wishbones? I assume you have the zimmeride shocks which came as 320lb (green) springs. I've changed mine out for 350lb gaz golds that i bought off ebay new for about £190 i think. think they are 13 open 9 closed from memory. Seem to work pretty well to me.

winding up the springs should increase ride height, but you need a long enough damper and spring to do this, so you still have movement in both directions. It won't increase the spring weight as you are still holding the same weight just moving the seat of where the spring sits.

Dont' go too hard on springs as it will get skittery. Lotus was always soft springs firm dampers.

You also have to be careful with the standard 2b dummy strut (mushrooms) as they aren't the best angles so on full droop the balljoint locks out before the shock, which could potentially break the joint. I had new longer struts made (mostly to get better geometry) and was careful to ensure the shocks engage before the balljoint.

If you haven't chopped the sump that is something you should do. I assume we are talking pinto.

hth

Guest Jonnyround2003

Yes I have the Rh wish bones that don't seam wide enough to clear the wheel arches on full lock I have the 2 ltr dohc efi engine I don't really want to shorten the sumpmy car seams to be a lot higher at the back than the front I'm trying to just level the car out

Guest 2b cruising

I have the same engine in my 2b but on double wishbones.

My sump is also standard and very low.

My front shocks are Gaz with damping and hight adjustment all round.

The hight of the car I have set at 7 inches from bottom edge of the side panel just behind the rear of the front wishbone unit.

Also 7 inches from the bottom edge of the side panel just in front of the rear wheel.

Single speed bumps I go over by driving to one side or the other with two wheels on the same side.

Luckily so far I have not hit anything with my sump but I have clouted the bottom off the handbrake cable fixing point.

It got bent to one side but still operates perfectly and has passed the mot without problem.

It doe not happen any more because I have left it bent.

jonny, looknig at photos you have posted, it looks like you have the 'zeemeride' shocks. Contact dampertech / rally design for replacement GAZ shocks and springs as a fairly straightforward swap.