Scratches

Guest Jonnyround2003

If there is a specific deep scratch, there is little you can do. If the panel is generally scratched and looks a bit misty, you can use a fine polishing compound from the polishing shop with their soft mops, but you must not let the panel get too warm. Very labourious process, so i've only done small areas to remove rust stains from my windscreen brackets. Problem is, those areas are too shiny now!

The problem is, the stainless has a fine film layer over the metal, and when scratched it's this that gets damaged, so you cannot remove the scratches without doing major damage. As has been said, vinyl wrap may be the answer.As an asside, the best way to clean the stainless is with a clean cloth and using the cheapest spray "glass cleaner" you can get, not Windowlene (smears like hell)

• 1 month later...

When I bought my car it had a long deep scratch on the scuttle which spoilt it. I used wet and dry paper from 240 down to 2000 grit in stages working each grade paper at right angles to make sure each grit was worked out. Finished with Solvol Autosol. Looks good and has a high shine, certainly better than the deep scratch BUT as said above, you won't get the original mirror finish back. Be warned, it took 2 days to do as I had to do the whole scuttle to blend it in! Good job I'm retired!