Fuel Pump Buzz

Guest mcramsay

thats wot it is

in tank fuel pump and swirl pot off of a range rover £43 off ebay

richyb66 and the duck are already using these and havent reported any problems so far

Edited by tractor

i don't want to get rid of the swirlpot all together, just the need for an external one. Because it takes up room in the engine bay, looks a bit rubbish, needs double the fuel lines and needs to pumps, I would rather have a tank mounted pump with internal swirlpot and one feed and return line.

Ah fair enough I misunderstood.

Guest mcramsay

The only problem is the m3 lump runs at 6 bar fuel pressure, so would have to fit a pump in the unit that would give the required flow at that pressure. Also my tank is completely different! Def worth looking in to though!

In view of all above, stripped down our fuel supply pipework & found I had flattened the feed pipe from swirlpot to injection pump when first built -- so injection pump has been struggling to suck the past 6 years --- problem with building your own pot I suppose. All better now -- fingers crossed, as making a trip to Bath in the next hour.

Guest mcramsay

I took the fuel pump out tonight... with some weird results, removing the inlet from the pump body (16mm feed from the swirlpot) and I got a little surge of fuel out and then it began to trickle. Almost like trying to drain the radiator with the cap on.

So I removed the filler cap ( the tank is fitted with a vaccum anti roll valve mounted vertically) just to see if it was vacuum related... no change.

I then removed the return from the top of the swirlpot back to the tank and swirlpot then fully emptied as air was now getting in.

Gave a quick blow through the return line which only blew out the fuel trapped in the line back into the tank.

So not sure if the is not getting full gravity feed when in service or if the swirlpot just wouldn't empty as the return line was full of fuel--- in normal running I can hear fuel returning to the tank so I know the swirlpot is being filled up...

Strip down of the pump revealed nothing obvious but the pump was making a noise loud enough to stop me driving the car!