Help: Front Brakes

Dino thanks mate, im looking at a setup for 14in wheels. Biggest i can fit under a set of minilites using ford uprights.

No problem, I have a set of 14" on my other car which I can fit on the front to see the breathing room?

But when looking into a brake upgrade I was looking at the largest discs I could fit without compromising to much weight and being able to downgrade to smaller wheels if required.

15", 16" definitely fit due to these being standards on the original donor cars.

Would u like me to fit 14" and take a snap or attempt to?

Ok, I will settle in after a hectic weekend and one night this week shuffle them around and post some piccies of a 14" wheel on the new set-up if it fits.... curious myself as it definitely has plenty of room around the sides.

Dino that would be great. Id appreciate that. I think mine are 10in at moment.

Sorry dude, but I must be the bearer of bad news.

I tested 14" wheels on the brake upgrade and these just catch on the inside of the wheel.

I imagine if your willing, then you could maybe grind off part of the caliper to make them fit.

I have photo's to show you, but both Rhocar and Photobucket have had issues with the login API to facebook.

So at the moment I stuck without posting pictures until Photobucket fixes the issue, so bear with me.

Guest lotusPaul

Dino thanks for trying bruv. I guess it'll fit if we reduce the discs down more, and alter the bracketry.

Or perhaps going to willwood etc

Dino thanks for trying bruv. I guess it'll fit if we reduce the discs down more, and alter the bracketry.

Or perhaps going to willwood etc

Yes, I was looking at wilwoods, they look smaller and lighter, but easily £300 more and not vented.

So for me a no brainier.

You could look at the FiestaST option, which somebody else mention on my other post. Same discs upgrade but smaller calipers and no drilling required. Might be worth investigating.

Meantime I will try and pictures up as ithese are around 3 mm to big and personally a little to close for comfort on 14" wheels.

So thats only just grinding with 14s on?

Yep, as you can see with the scuff marks on the inside of the wheel, as I tightened nuts and tried to move it..

Real shame unless you can find a smaller caliper size or willing to grind off some.

Would be interesting if any of the other calipers (like the Fiesta ST ones) were smaller?

Steve mentioned it here (point 12) http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=45205

I think same size disc, smaller calipers and no drilling, Steve may be able to confirm this.

Guest lotusPaul

Well thanks for the pics Dino, ill be running minilites which may,if im VERY lucky, have a widder inner profile than yours. But im not holding my breath. Looks like ill need a set of 150brakes to do a bit of trial and error.

Looked on fleebay and theres a good few sets of uprated disks and pads for a lot of options. Idealy i dont want to run a servo but i do want a peddle box thats floor mounted. One for back burner i think.

Well thanks for the pics Dino, ill be running minilites which may,if im VERY lucky, have a widder inner profile than yours. But im not holding my breath. Looks like ill need a set of 150brakes to do a bit of trial and error.

Looked on fleebay and theres a good few sets of uprated disks and pads for a lot of options. Idealy i dont want to run a servo but i do want a peddle box thats floor mounted. One for back burner i think.

Good luck dude, if your ever over this way, pop in.

I will be looking at a floor mounted pedal box in the distant future (more for comfort and room for my flat feet).

Which is more a luxury than a necessity as the top mounted one works perfectly fine.

I went mix 'n match.

I kept the pedal box for the clutch pedal & throttle,

but fitted a tandem M/C & floor mounted brake pedal from Rally design.

I got the 6:1 ratio, but should have gone for the 7:1 as it needs a bit of a push

without the servo.