Help on electrics

fry61

Back in the day when I was an employed spark, I always used RB4 joint boxes for the lighting circuits. ( Never did like loop-in system ) 

Now I'm re-wiring our new shower rooms & can't find anything which even looks similar  -- what is used to-day?

With spots/shaver/fan/switches & feed to connect I have around a dozen cables ( 24 cores ) to accommodate.

Loop live is a standard really. It’s fast, economical, easy to fault find, easy to expand, logical, safer than having singles everywhere or neutral connections in switch boxes, makes inspection and testing straightforward, is easy to follow when the next spark comes on site, reduces cables in switch drops.....  

Why do you not like loop live? It only applies to lighting circuits anyway, sockets will be ring or radial, shaver sockets should ideally have a dedicated supply direct from CCU, all other circuits should be dedicated too. 

Many thanks, Dan; that's not a company I've come across; but then retired 15 years ago & house bashing electrics was ditched 40 odd years back in favour of  industrial work.

Barry, thanks for your input; have never wired switches with a neutral running through. All my reasoning for joint box work is to ensure the only conductors at each outlet ( switch or lamp ) are just the ones required for their function -- i.e switches only have live & sw. wire ( or strappers if 2 way/intermidiate )

How does your system cope with looping in & on when several spots are involved?

Also hated all the overhead connections of loop-in. 

You have numerous options for spotlights, I like to treat the room as a single luminaire, by that I mean do your loop live circuit as normal then in the room with the spots mount the rose or a JB in the void between ceiling and floor boards. That means it’s still a loop live system etc but you have nothing visible from below. The cable from the rose/JB you can take to the first spot and loop it around spot to spot.
Alternatively use a JB with terminal rail and jumpers and feed a flex back from each spot to the rail, this is more industrial in reality but I’m a big fan. Weidmuller SAK2.5 terminals with jumper bars on top hat rail, end plates and earth terminals, you can even buy brown and blue terminals if you want to make it obvious what is a phase and neutral conductor. I use 20mm S compression glands as strain relief and put the JB in a nice accessible place to make it easy if ever you need to fault find; ie in the loft I mount it on a wall or in a convenient working area, for ground floor lighting in the corner of an upstairs room to reduce the carpet and boards you would have to lift to gain access if there is ever a fault. It’s a costly way of doing it that’s why it’s not the norm, a brittle brown JB with 4 cheap brass termination points will do the job but it’s not so elegant. 

Thanks Barry for your time & trouble in the above lengthy reply.   I will in this job stick with my old fashioned joint box method instead of mixing the two styles of loop-in & J/B.

A sparky so old he still regrets the passing of tinned brass buckle clips, but not so old he can remember the oily lead paper insulated days. 

All good 👍 I like to float a few ideas around if I can inspire people. Two heads and all that. 

There’s many ways to skin a cat with electrical installations. Preferred/standard methods are just the go to ideas usually but can always be improved upon.