Getting It Started

gomatthome

I recently recieved new 2b4 plus kit about to start build :blink:

also have 2l carb pinto with ecu but not seen working!

before i start to clean up / refurb fit etc i want to start it up but have come to the realisation that it would have been better to have purchased the donor car to follow where the wiring went to, however spilt milk ....

can anyone suggest how i can temp wire up the ecu /starter to get the engin to fire. The engin loom is in place.

Hopefully out there someone can give some practical advise other than youve bitten off too much.

a worried novice wondering what to do next

matt

Firstly put your location in your profile and someone local may well have the same/similar setup that you can copy/follow.

OK now second - define ECU. There are two possibilities for the carbed Pinto. One uses a little black brick riveted to an ally plate with six (I think) wires coming from a multi-plug. The second is a larger brick and has a connector for a vacuum hose as well as wires. Which do you have? (the first is easier). Do you know which carb you have?

Hopefully with that lot we should be able to get you running.

Iain

Matt

Don't panic :lol: If I read your post right, you have an engine sitting on the floor and you want to start it....

I would wait until its in the car...about a year from now :(

If you want a reasonable check of the condition just do a compression test, that only need the starter motor to run...

Dave

Right - that's me goosed coz I've never delved into the ESC system (think that's what it's called). Like Dave says if the engine isn't in the chassis I wouldn't even consider starting it. They shake around a lot and an unsecured engine rolling around on the floor is not healthy for you or it. There are guys running this system so hopefully one of them will post to assist. Failing that visit the local scrap-yard and look for the alternative system as it's much simpler to get started with and to modify later. Do you have a Haynes manual for the Sierra? that will contain the wiring diagram which you can use to sort which wire goes where.

Iain

Thanks yes have Haynes and trying to understand it. As an alternative would you suggest purchasing a cheap donor ( need some other donor parts anyway) if so is an 1800 powerful enough as there dont seem to be many 2l pinto about.

I do have engine compression tester so i could at least see what the readings are if i could get the starter motor to turn.

Any pointers would be helpful

matt

Matt

The 1.8 engine has the exhaust on the passenger side (I think there is only one type of 1.8 engine...)

If your engine has the exhausts on the right then its a Pinto and I would use that until you have sva'ed it...

If you need more donor parts, try to get a 2L buts thats not easy...Bill's suggestion is to goto a supermarket in your rough neighbourhood and stick a wanted poster in the window...

To do the compression test

• remove spark plugs
  • Connect the battery -ve to starter body, +ve to large brass pin on the rear of the starter
  • Connect a wire to the small terminal on the solenoid
  • Connect the compression gauge to number 1 cyl
  • Touch the other end of the wire to the battery +ve to engage starter for about 5 seconds
  • Repeat on each cyl

But be CAREFUL!

Dave

Guest timswait

If you need some other parts anyway then it's probably worth buying a donor. Once you've totted up the cost of buying all the parts separately (and then all the other parts that you don't yet know you need, but no doubt will) they will probably come to more than the cost of a complete Sierra.

Also you may have registration problems if you don't have documentation with the engine to prove it's yours, and you may have emision problems if you can't prove the age of the engine (most people use the donor's V5 document for this since it has the engine number on it).

Most 1.8 Sierra's were CVH engined, and this is not very suitable for a Hood (as Daveq says, exhaust on passenger side for one thing), but I'm pretty sure there were also some Pinto engined ones (earlier models I think). My advice would be 2l anyway, if you fit a smaller engine now you may well find yourself wishing for more power in a year's time (I did).

Where abouts in Sheffield are you? I'm a student there, and I live in Crookes.

There were some 1.8 pinto's but the bits for them are not that common, also they are not as tuneable as the 1.6's and the 2.0's.

I wouldn't start the engine without it being in the car unless you are really suspicious. If you want to avoid lots of risk you could whip the head off, check the piston / bore gaps, take the camshaft off and valves out and replace the seals (they often go causing smoke on start up and hot running). If all that looks OK oil the bores (if its going to be a while before built), decoke, rebuild and wait until its in the car to run it.

Wouldn't guarantee bottom end though but Pinto's are pretty tough down there so I'd take the risk!!!

thanks all for the suggestions i think i will continue to look out for 2l donor and not worry at the moment about getting the one on the garage floor started. At least i can get on with some assembly to see the project moving forward. I assume it could be an estate as i already have a rear axel?

The advise on the starter motor is good will try this weekend and let you know.

Looking forward to bieing part of the RHOCAR community its great to know someone is out there who has gone through some of the same problems you have.

Nb only picked up kit from RH last week.

If you have a 2l engine I would not worry to much about the engine size of the donor. If its a 4 pot the gearbox will fit (V6 has a diferent gearbox input shaft) and everything mechanical will swap across.

Just tell the DVLA that you have fitted the 2l engine to the donor before you start to get the V5 correct.

Thats a good suggestion will do. Didnt get around to trying the starter this weekend decided to strip rust and paint rear axel. Wanted something to show for efforts. Moving on to fit floor pannel if time this week so i fit rear axel / rear suspension next weekend - more watching of the video first i guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions any comments / tips greatly recieved.

Matt

Guest Andy Rathbone

tim and matt my girlfriend is in sheff and if i can find a good weekend i will be up there in the 2b just registered send me a PM with more of your details like a phone number and i will see what i can do ;)