205 block engine build

LewisH

On 5/4/2023 at 3:12 PM, LewisH said:

Engine is built and installed, however, I'm having trouble getting it to start and run properly. 

It struggles to start, lots of coughing then finally fires but won't idle and cuts out. I suspect timing is out, but I've double checked everything and in my mind it is correct. I've changed HT leads, dizi cap & rotor arm but still the same.

I have worked out cam timing by finding TDC, zero'ing timing disk, then turning crank clockwise until I reach 108 deg (FR33 cam), then setting cam at this point with inlet cam lobe on no1 cylinder pointing to the sky...is this correct? At this point the rotor arm is pointing to no1 lead.

Any help or pointers to check much appreciated. 

After a lot of messing around, checking timing, changing cylinder head, changing plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizi cap...I've finally found the source of my engine running problem. Frustratingly, after all that, it was just a blocked fuel filter on the carb. 

I've got a weber 32/36 and beneath the carb there is a 19mm brass nut, underneath the nut there is a small filter, which was full of black detritus. Never realised there was a filter there...now I do, cleaned and she now starts and idles just fine, hallelujah! Just in time for summer, oh bugger. 

At last, the upgrade to 2.0 and stage 3 head is complete, only took me a year.

• Like 2