Fuel tank fitment

James Agg

Hello to all you hoodies! I’m not sure if I’ve chosen correctly by posting this in fitting and bodywork, but this is the closest match I can think of…

I previously posted about the potential that my fuel filler neck arrangement is allowing a slight leak causing a strong smell of petrol. Well… I just stopped off to fill up with fuel (annoyingly on my way to my MOT) only to come back out after paying to find that quite a lot of petrol was pissing out underneath the car. It slowed and then stopped doing so after a short amount of time which suggests that the leak was high up. I checked in my boot area and there was a little wetness, but not as much as I would expect considering the amount I saw coming from underneath the car. In addition, my fuel gauge would normally read bang on full after filling up to the neck, but it was almost an 8th of the tank down from full, which leads me to believe that I might have a leak further down. Rather than messing around trying to make the existing tank work with a better filler neck arrangement, I’m beginning to think that a new tank would be for the best given that there’s every chance that it’s got a problem further down too. Kitspares have a 2B tank for sale. My kit is a MK2 Sierra kit with stainless monocoque chassis. My question here is does anyone know if the 2B tank for sale on kit spares fits the MK2 stainless monocoque?

Update - I’ve spoken to Kitspares and they can confirm that the 2B tank doesn’t fit. They did however say that if I drop the tank out and measure up its dimensions and take some pictures, they might be able to fabricate one along the lines of the original tank. That’s worth knowing!

FYI - A couple of years ago I acquired two different original stainless Robin Hood tanks with the hope of using one on my 2B build. One of these was identified by other RH owners as the same as used on 3A and S7 models and I guess is the same as what you have on your monocoque car? nominal dimensions approx 8 x 8 x 34" with horizontal flange upstand. This compared to the 2B tank that was slightly taller but narrower (6 x 8 x 33.5" with vertical flange upstand).

The monocoque tank (long since sold I'm afraid) is shown in the attached photo, sitting in the back of my 2B chassis. If there is spare height available in the back of your car then I would suspect that a tank made for a 2B would physically fit, but may present issues with routing the filler neck.

In the end I used neither tank as I found I could (just) fit an aluminium MK Indy tank in the 2B, and I wasn't convinced about sealing the filler neck on the original RH versions.

Chris

3A S7 tank.jpeg

From what I’ve been able to see of my tank in situ, I do believe that the tank you’ve pictured is one and the same as my tank although looking more closely, it looks like the holes in the top on mine are more towards the back of the tank than the front. Interesting… I’ll have to see what can be made I think

Edited by James Agg

Hi James,

I've got the tank that came out of my 2B somewhere, which looks a lot like the one in the photo from memory.  I had a custom ally tank made for the 2B and kept the old one "just in case".  I'll have a look for it and measure it - if it will fit your car you're welcome to it.

Steve

Hi James,

I'm amazed, I went to where I thought I'd put the tank and it was actually there !   That doesn't normally happen.

Anyway here's a picture of it,  840mm long (wide),  260mm high and 150mm deep.

Orig_tank.thumb.jpg.ea67bef2d83353da1c51441ecae3babf.jpg

Ooo that looks like it may be correct, and your breather nozzle is placed in a more sensible place than mine. My breather nozzle is right next to the filler hole which makes the possibility of installing a sleeve there somewhat difficult… my next step is to drain my tank, drop it out and measure/compare to your picture. I will let you know - I may well be interested in taking this off your hands