My Sudden Breakdown

Guest red7

Driving along in Red7 on an Autumn afternoon when suddenly the Pinto 2 litre stops with a slight back fire. Off with the lid, check every possible easy fix, nothing. Call my mate on the mobile and he is out to the car in ten minutes. He takes a look and gets the tow rope out, this is serious, this guy worked on the rigs with me and had a reputation for "Laying on the healing hands". Kit which had baffled the best would come back to life and now my Hood had beaten him. Four of the North East Hoods must have spent at least a total of twenty hours trying to solve this problem with no luck, anybody got any ideas? :boohoo:

I removed the dizzy and gave it a few turns. It feels like it's jamming. Took it apart and found a broken spring. Mystery solved. Anybody got a spare dizzy? I have a spare electric job but I would need a module and wiring diagram. You can seen the broken spring in the bottom left hand corner. :(

post-6-1097353774.jpg

Four NE Hoodies can't fix it in twenty hours! They could build a catering van in that time! Suggest you buy a new car as aliens have abducted the crank and pistons.

I guess you have a spark and fuel as twenty hours should be enough time to check those. Perhaps the cam belt has jumped, or one of the woodruff keys has sheared and its not all rotating in sync. Sounds like a good puzzle to play with.

Nigel

Woops. You sussed it while I typed.

I am off to an autojumble this morning. Searched every scrappy in the neighbourhood for parts without success (that's me off the Scrapheap Challenge team then, they should introduce a bloody big ferocious German Shepherd guard dog into that show to add realism :D ). It appears Sierra/Capri parts are rare in this area.

Guest salty_monk
That's true, but you don't hear of people having problems with them, they are very reliable

This is the first one of these I've ever come across.... (in RH or Moggy minors...) can't imagine it's very common with any sort of dizzy....

Guest Petemate

here we go again

I too can remember vacum wipers, AND the silly storage tank that was supposed to enable them to work longer when you had your foot down Ha! did it heck as like. :lol:

Semaphores? When I was 15, I had a pair on my Raleigh Superbe pushbike, wired up to a motorbike battery. Sad, or wot? ^_^

Pete(Oldgit)