Diesel Quicker Than 2b

Guest Fred2b

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown
i suppose all i'm good for then is as a cruiser
Try in 20k miles time and then see who is still the quickest I suspect the V8 will still be just the same but the bike???????? Dead or at the best arthritic :p :p

Guest gordon_macnab
:lol: alan ,we havent raced yet i think you will be put to shame,as will a cossie,i had a race last night with a r500 caterham :lol: they are slow

Rizla,

Find it a bit confusing how you could beat an R500 (500 BHP per ton) your engine only puts out about 130bhp? so with a weight of around 400 kg youve only got 325bhp/ton even worse with driver & passenger say 160kgs brings it down to 232BHP/ton

Alan, with the weight of the hood and the V8's power you'll probably better that

hood approx 700kg?? power 250 bhp?? (conservative guess) gives 357bhp/tone add in driver & passenger only 290BHP/ton

As for the cossie, 270 BHP, weight around 700kg, 385BHP/ton, with driver and passenger approx 314bhp/ton

Regardless none are exactly slow and have enough power to shame about anything on the road, although Rizla may be left behind when the speed gets into 3 figures. :D and when you need to go backwards B)

Gordon

Depends on how they've done the reverse - some of the versions where the motorbike box is used they add a reversing box that just switches he direction of the propshaft with a 1:1 ratio. In practice this gives them exactly the same gears going backwards that they have going forwards - that means that barring aerodynamics it can go as fast backwards as forwards :o .

Guest alan rowe

I like you Gordon - you've made me feel better

- is yours really 270 bhp ? ( mine has been calibrated at 248 at the wheels so you are very close)

weght of both cars would be about the same so reluctantly I agree with your figures but definitely like youe calcs on Rislas - only a weedy 232 - so we can both beat him up as you say once we're over the ton

a happier Alan

Guest salty_monk

I would think Gordon's 270 BHP figure to be a flywheel one unless he has had some very serious work done on it (Cossie is 205BHP @ Flywheel as standard I think).

If yours is 248 at the wheels I would expect that to be a flywheel figure of around 290 - 300BHP based on around 20% for transmission losses...

I would also expect the weight of the V8 equipped car to be a bit higher too but I'm just guessing at that (probably only 50kg or something though so won't have much bearing...)

Also remember that Rizla doesn't have half the torque you've got (most vehicles spend a lot more time at maximum torque than at max BHP) or an LSD....

That said I saw an 1100cc bike engined Mini the other day that was "F" fast!!

One thing I will say though is that although you both should have him on a drag run (especially a long one not just a quarter mile) when it comes to the twisties he should wipe the floor with either of you quite comprehensively... (in theory due to lower weight, late breaking blah blah blah) :)

By the way - if any of you want to swap with me you're more than welcome :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just picked up my new Mondeo TDCi 2.0l duratorq Stage IV 130ps 6 speed (company car) today. Very quick indeed and drives very well. B)

Dredd, not quite what one of sales guys thinks, mind you he has always had petrol engines. Says the power is very limited to 2-3K fairly dead either side of that, I guess thats why they have put a 6 speed box in it.

Peter

Guest alan rowe

nice one Salty - I like you too (Risla must be getting depressed now) and no sorry you can't have it - it's the best thing I've ever driven

ps - the rover is actually lighter than a 2.0 ford as it's all aluminium

Guest paul thompson

I have a Nissan Primera wagon with a 2.2 TDi, under 1500 you can run faster, with the turbo wound up it flies up to about 3750, changing gear here puts you spot on 2K again and max torque and off you go again at the same rate of acceleration. The thing about diesels is that they accelerate at the same rate each time you change gear, no waiting for power to develope, it's right there all the time, so long as the turbo is doing it's job.

Often thought about putting a BMW 2.0 litre diesel in the 2B. 150 BHP in standard form with 380 Nm of torque, chipped, 180 Bhp and 400 Nm torque, Hmmmm, like the sound of that in 800 Kg. Just don't like the sound of a diesel with no hood.

Guest Battery Bill

Gordon

Rizla,

Find it a bit confusing how you could beat an R500 (500 BHP per ton) your engine only puts out about 130bhp? so with a weight of around 400 kg youve only got 325bhp/ton even worse with driver & passenger say 160kgs brings it down to 232BHP/ton

I think your estimate of 160kgs is a bit low :rolleyes: Have you ever met "Lardy Bob", Ooops I mean Rizla ! :wub: :wub: :lol: :lol: