Rivets For Floor Pan

Guest WHEELNUT

Guest WHEELNUT

Evening all, I've been looking closely at the colin usher web site as this on it's own seems better than the "fawlty towers " style videos that came with the kit! CU states that he used ss 4.8mm rivets, he doesn't say whether thes are the closed type or std. What did other builders use? Also there seems to be bones of contention about seat mounting and belt mountings, I spent about 2 hours yesterday just pondering whether to weld something extra into the chassis to provide something decent to secure both to. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Regards Wheelnut.

Guest WHEELNUT

Thanks Terry , thats pretty much what I wanted to hear. I think If i do weld something in I'll be putting in some sort of box section that will carry mounting of both seat and lower belt mounting. I think on saturday I may just try and find myself some seats as at the moment I don't have any.

I ordered some standard rivets this morning and according to the guy at primary fasteners, closed /blind rivets are only really used where you want a gas type seal, but the clincher for me was the price e.g.

1000 blind rivets = £115.43

1000 standard = £45

Guest chris brown

So now you are convinced standard ones are the ones to use. :p I used 3.2 mm stainless throughout just put more in where I needed extra strength I think my floor has rivets at 2.5 inch centres my reasoning being that a lot of small ones are better than less larger ones as there is less likelihood of deforming the material between them.

I have also used 4.8 ss rivets for the floor.

But i have used 4mm x 100mm plate welded between the chassis tubes, this provides fixings for the seats and handbrake mounting, plus all is inboard with nothing showing under floor.

jeff

post-3-1106695608.jpg

Guest timswait

Where do you buy stainless rivets, the local DIY places only seem to do ali, and they corrode out fairly quickly when fitted in stainless panels? (I did click Jim's link, but typing rivets into the search doesn't produce any results).

Guest WHEELNUT

I got my rivets last week from J & L INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY . C an't find their web address at the mo but the service was next day and the price was half that of a local firm I use at work. They quoted £34 per 100 for 4.8mm, J & L were £18.55!

I also bought some cobalt stub drills as reccommended elsewhere.

Regards Malcolm.