What Paperwork

Guest johnboymac

Guest johnboymac

Hi guys,

I phoned both the dvla (no help at all) and vosa (really helpful people) the other day (- only a 1 week lead time for glasgow sva). thanks to dvla though I am a bit confused, can anyone give me a list of what I need to do in what order to get my car legal.

on vosa and a previous dvla persons advice, I am using RH receipt number to form my vin. so:

1. stamp vin on chassis.

2.?

3.?

x. take car to sva appointment

x.

can anyone fill in the blanks for me? I have heard of things like built up inspection etc - what is it and when should it be done etc.

This is how I regitered my car, I hope it helps! :)

23.10.03 I phoned Peterborough DVLA and said that I need a chassis number for a kit car, I spoke to John and he said that he would get the correct people to phone me back, I gave them my phone number.

23.10.03 A bloke phoned me from Peterborough DVLA and said that he will put forms V55/5, V627 and an SVA application form in the post to me. He said that I have to fill them in as much as I can and send them back to him and he will issue me with a chassis number which I must stamp on the car.

29.10.03 I got a letter from Terry at Peterborough DVLA Local office containing forms 'V627/1 Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report', 'Application For A Ministers Approval Certificate' and 'V55/5 Application for a first licence for a used motor vehicle and declaration for registration'. I filled them out as much as possible and sent them back. I kept copies of them.

04.11.03 I got a letter from Terry dated 30.10.03 saying that I didn't supply them with a chassis number therefore they have allocated me the chassis number TRDTSD01237853785, I have to have the number stamped on the chassis and get the letter signed by a local garage and send it back to DVLA. I also got my application form for the SVA test back to put the chassis number on.

05.01.04 I phoned Roadsure insurance for a quote (02089 893 339), under 5K miles is £139 TPF&T. they let me use the chassis number for as long as I want to get through SVA.

05.01.04 I phoned Adrian Flux insurance for a quote (08700 776 326), under 3K miles is £134 + £16 for legal expenses. They only let me use the chassis number for 30 days then they cancel the insurance with no refund!

05.01.04 I phoned Graham Sykes insurance for a quote (01395 266 621), under 3K miles is £147.05 with legal expenses. They only let me use the chassis number for 30 days then they cancel the insurance!, if it fails SVA then I'm not insured to drive it home.

05.01.04 I phoned Roadsure insurance again I paid £139 and insured myself as of 12:00 noon today, they said that I will be able to drive to SVA and back again, there is no limitation on the amount of time I can use the chassis number.

05.01.04 I phoned my local garage and booked the car in to have the chassis number checked on 08.11.04

08.01.04 I drove the car to the local garage, they checked the number and stamped the letter that the DVLA sent me to say that the chassis number is correct on the car.

09.01.04 I phoned the SVA centre at Norwich and they said there is a 3 week waiting list but if I book now, I can phone up to 3 days before to postpone it if the cars not ready.

10.01.04 I sent off the SVA application form and a cheque for £150

20.01.04 I received a letter from VOSA saying that they had received my SVA application form and wanted some more information. I filled out the letter with the info they wanted, photocopied it and sent it back to them.

23.01.04 I received a letter from the SVA centre at Norwich saying my SVA test is at 8:10am on Mon 09th Feb 04

02.02.04 I phoned Peterborough DVLA and spoke to Terry again, he said that when I get my MAC I have to phone him and book a time to go and see him to get the thing registered. It will be on a Tuesday or Thursday.

03.02.04 I phoned Roadsure and asked them for a new cover note as the old one is soon to run out.

04.02.04 the SVA place in Norwich phoned and asked if I could do the SVA on 05.02.04 (tomorrow!) I said yes.

05.02.04 SVA today, it failed on 6 points.

16.02.04 I phoned Norwich SVA and told them I had fixed all the points, they said I could have a re-test today at 2o/c. I left work early and took it, paid £30 cash. It PASSED!

17.02.04 I received the insurance policy from Roadsure.

20.02.04 I phoned Peterborough DVLA and arranged to have my car looked at on Tu 24.02.04 at 10:00 AM.

24.02.04 I drove the car up to the DVLA and met Terry, he looked at the chassis no. and engine no., I gave him my Reg Doc for the Sierra donor and declared it as scrapped, I also gave him my MAC. I gave him a cheque for £165 for the tax to start from the beginning of March. He said he will post out the new reg. number as soon as he can, he also said I would need an MOT in one years time.

25.02.04 Received letter from DVLA telling me my reg number, I also got the tax disc that starts next month

26.02.04 Got plates made up at a local car accecory shop, had to show the letter and my driving licence.

01.03.04 Put plates on car, went for a LEGAL drive!

03.03.04 I received the Regestration document in the post

04.03.04 I phoned Roadsure and told them my new regestration number, they said they would re-issue my policy with it on.

Guest johnboymac

thanks Guy, I have a v627, so will fill it in this evening and sent it off with my preferred number - they can only knock it back if they don't like it. from there I can get the sva booked when ready.

Jobs still to do:-

fit bonnet catches,

fit mirrors

attach seat belt catches to seat frames

tighten bolts and fit nut covers.

err thats it...... except for windscreen etc but I think I might test without the screen to save a little trouble. so basically I am pretty much there now.

cheers, J

I'm at the paperwork stage now but I have found the process well easy so far.

Made up VIN NO (RH invoice No)_(Date picked up CCYYMDD)_(My initals)_(Number of cars bult by me =01)_(Wifes initals) 17 digits total.

Applied for SVA 11.01.05 given date of 05.02.05.

Rang DVLA asked for relevent paperwork to register a kit car.

Booked car in for MOT ( passed 24.01.05) VIN No on MOT.

Passed SVA 05.02.05

Rang DVLA asked how to fill in 2 forms I had been sent ( Built up vehicle report V627/1 and First licence application V55/5)

These two forms along with fee, ID, previous registration docs, receipts etc, I am taking into DVLA Nottingham tomorrow.

I will let you know how I get on.

Potted version. Rang Reading DVLA, got a Chassis number. Rang Kit car Registrations, sat back and waited for the draft documents and Inspector from DVLA to arrive. Rang Roadsure, got a great quote incl cover to drive back from the testing staition if it failed - which it did. Passed second time, sent of MAC to Kit Car Registrations and got licence and number plate authorisation through the post.

No problem - worth £35 of anyone's money.

Andy C

45 mins this morning and I am on the road, tax disc, MOT changed to new reg No and number plate autherisation in hand. :D

Look out Leicestershire I am on the road tonight. :o

List of documents I took plus cheque for £135.75

SORN for donor car.

Last MOT for donor car.

Receipt from scrap yard for shell with car reg number shown. (Gave me £12.80).

Log book for donor car.

Receipt from previous owner of donor car.

;)

Robin Hood Invoice with receipt.

Built up vehicle report V627/1

Declaration for first registration. V55/5

MAC

MOT

:p

Hi Guys

What happens if you make up your own chassis number.....by that I mean where does and when (if) does this letter come which has to be certified by a garage to prove that it's been stamped on correctly?

Nice one Derek! :D

What letter from a garage, I did not need one no one asked for one.

This does not sound like it's to do with chassis numbers but stick with it :huh:

I think it boils down to what you have kept from the donor car.

The information contained within this communication is as good as it could be at the time however the sender may have changed! :ph34r:

There is a points system for the parts, to keep an age related plate you must score less than 8 I think. ;)

Changing the:-

Chassis 5pts

Axles 2

Suspension 2

Engine 2

Transmission 2

There may be more you will see on the forms from the DVLA :(

So if you use all the parts from one car basically you have changed the chassis and possably the suspension unless you are using sliding pillocks ( I would argue they came from the original car {although not from the suspension}) :p

Total 7pts Sorted!!! :lol:

Make up a number, walk on the wildside :o