Welding

gomatthome

getting to point when thinking of having a go at welding. Cant realy justify cost of a mig welder but hobby arc welders in machine mart at circa £50.

anyone explain the difference make any suggestions.

Guest frozennorth20

Main difference is suitability for what you want to do; arc ok if you want to weld heavy duty stuff ( 2 -3 mm up), but no good for thin stuff like body panels etc - here you need a Mig, which will go thin but also pretty thick if you get one that's poweful enough. Tig is really nice, but expensive......... There's a lot more to it, heat - affected zones, weld quality, weldable materials etcetc(etc!), doubtless you can find reams to read on the InterNut. Best advice is to find a way to have a go before you buy anything, and see how you get on - local colleges often have short courses which are usually pretty good, else if you can chat up a local fabricator or small garage to advise - it's also worth checking local prices for small welding jobs, if you don't have a lot to do it's probably more cost effective to get a pro to do it. If you really want to have a go then Mig is more versatile, but you'll still burn lots of holes if you haven't done it before!

Hope this helps, cheers!

John :)

Guest chris brown

Unless you are thinking of making yourself some steel gates or something then don’t even think of getting a stick welder go for something like this mig it may seem more expensive. Let’s face it. It is both to buy and to run especially when using those small throu away gas bottles but still worth it. I take my hat of to anyone who builds a car without one. Mine was in use most days throughout the build.

Guest Kieran

I think most learner welders use arc sets as burning torches on thin steel..... :lol:

Id definatley go for a Mig, the gas is an extra expense, but the usefullness really does outway it.

Im ok, ive got all 3 at work..... :p The tig set is amazing, its only small, but can weld practically anything, any thickness even down to thin gauge.

Kieran :wacko:

Guest Phil Slater

If you are planning on doing a lot of MIG welding, then consider tracking down your local BOC centre/agent or Welding supplies firm and checking out the costs of getting pro size gas bottle not the disposable ones from Machine Mart. The disposable ones don't last long, they are not that cheap and you may find you are better off with the pro size stuff, (and they are not all massive.)

Having said that I ran my MIG for two or three years on a Bass Brewery CO2 beer pump cylinder for next to nowt - obtained from a friendly landlord. (Just drink lots of his beer to get him sympathetic to your cause :rolleyes: ) Mind you, now I'm using BOC Argon universal lite ( well it's called something like that, it is after midnight after all!!!) I wouldn't go back to the CO2. The proper gas makes welding so much easier :D .

Phil Slater

Guest Petemate

Hi All - my 2 pennorth

Years ago I had an arc welder, as said, hopeless for thin stuff. Somehow I managed to replace the rear long chassis members on a Mk1 'Tina est. Wot a job that was... :mellow: We currently (scuse the pun :lol: ) own a nice mig, 180 amp. Great for building the benches in the workshop, but a tad heavy going for thin stuff. I've just finished putting some new sills on the Metro, thanks to fellow member Paul Gretton (thanks Paul) who lent me his Sealey mig welder. It has a refillable bottle, he reckons only a fiver or so to refill. I don't know how full it was, but it did practice shots and both sills and still has gas in it. I'm not the world's best welder, but it was a good result. I think it is called a Maxmig

HTH

Petemate

MIG MIG MIG MIG MIG MIG

Got the message? Save up and get one. You'll not look back. Oh, and use an argon / CO2 mix for welding the thin stuff, much less spatter.

Actually come to think of it I've used this for welding 5mm steel strap to make brackets and other stuff. Penetration is fine.

Also, for the amount of welding I've done on the build, I've used the small throw away bottles. Yes, expensive (about £8 from Halfords) but at least you can get hold of one when it runs out.

Mine's a SIP Migmate Turbo 130. In English, a 130A rated MIG with a cooling fan.

You should get a second hand one off eBay if you can't afford a new one.

Try this : Migmate 130 on eBay

Job's a good 'un.

Guest Charles B

For the odd job, the gasless mig wire works remarkably well. It doesn't give quite as good a finish, but the weld strength is fine.

Don't write off stick welding completely. Unless it's very thin steel. It's a cheaper method, and you can still weld stainless, or even cast with the right rods (nickel rods)

One place where you can't use mig is outside with any breeze, you have to use stick then.

Guest daveg

Arc may sound cheap but its a waste of money as a mig is only a few quid more. The running costs are very low.

I would like a TIG but is it as good as gas welding? (oxy/acetylene)

I doubt you could build a 2b without a mig

Dave

Guest Battery Bill
I doubt you could build a 2b without a mig

Richard says you can! :p :p :p

And he's finished building a Hood :lol: :lol: :p :p

Sorry I could not resist that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hi

not done load of welding in my time, but I've used both Arc and MIG and I have to go with the guys, if you're going to buy anything then get a MIG. I did some SS welding on my Superspec chassis recently and it did the job for me :D

e