My engine is a 2.0i Pinto, but the camshaft has done 100,000 miles and

is badly worn. So, I want to stick a new camshaft in and discovered that

Kent Cams do a fast road camshaft for the injection engine. My questions

are these: 1) Will I be able to reuse the standard Ford ECU 2) How much

extra BHp do you reckon I'll get 3) Do you think I'll fail the emissions test

on the SVA/MOT??

Cheers,

Pete

You're all on carbs of course, so I didn't think I'd get many replies!

It's ok, I spoke to Kent Cams directly and their answers (if anyone's

interested) were:

1) Yes, the cam was developed around the standard ECU

2) I'll get 15bhp extra

3) Due to the cam's low duration/overlap, emissions aren't a problem

Pete

Guest Fred2b

Pete

There are a few blokes that have posted on this in the past. It seems that if you are on EFI then don't bother because the ECU can't work it out properly. Rather change to carbs and then get a new cam.

Peter

Guest Jim Poole

Pete

I'm in the same boat as you and have come across a few problems. Unfortunately the L-Jetronic system which is fitted is not particularyadaptable modifications. Mods such as a hotter cam or ported head, can cause the engine to run lean, although Kent should have taken this into consideration.

Apparently, some of the earlier models of the EFI were programmed to run too lean when they left the factory which leads to other problems. This was later corrected by the addition of the lambda sensor on later models.

There's a good book on how to overcome these problems called "How to Understand, Service and Modify Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management" which I can copy the relevant page for you if you like.

Basically you need to increase the fuel pressure, injector flowrate and do some mods to the ECU or air meter.

Interesting reponses from Fred2b and Jim Poole. My question is: How do you know the ECU can't deal with the new camshaft and have either of you done any actual tests to check that the engine is running lean or low on power?

I would interested to see your info on the Bosch ECU, Jim, thanks.

Otherwise, without test data as proof, I'm inclined to believe the Kent Cams guys. They are the experts and say that the cam was developed for the standard ECU.

Cheers,

Pete

Well, it seems that Phil Slater and Iain Brooks think that the Kent cam is fine.

Simon Cooper waffles on about the idle, but I bet he's never tried that cam in that engine before. My conclusion is that the new injection cam will actually be fine

and there's a lot of speculation in some of these threads!

My other problem is that Piper do a Fast Road Injection camshaft for the 2.0 Pinto,

so what is that one like? It has less lift but longer timing and the power band is 2000 to 6500 rather than 1000 to 6250 on the Kent cam. It also seems to be slightly cheaper 8-D This needs further investigation...

Cheers,

Pete

Guest Phil Slater

Just to say I had a major upset with my Kent Cam in that a partially blocked hole in the feeder rail caused it to................. basically self destruct.

:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: .

Anyhow, to cut a long story short (I'm filling up just thinking about it :( ) when it came to replacing it ,the best deal could get was on the Piper High torque cam for the Pinto. It hasn't been on the road yet but th engine runs smooth enough with it.

For what it's worth - my two penneth on the compatablity issue with the ECU - if Kent or Piper state the cam is for the injection engine then the ECU should cope. It's when folk try to fit hotter cams that the ECU map fails.

HTH

Phil Slater

Guest Jim Poole

Pete

If you pm me your email address, I'll pdf the revevant pages for you and email them.

The ECU might be able to cope with the cam, it's the airflow meter thats the problem. It is all explained.

Guest salty_monk

I think it's duration the ECU can't cope with, high lift is fine so you'll probably find the profile on the Kent Cam is just that... should be very torquey.

Thanks all for the interesting chat, fellas. So, I've taken the plunge and ordered a Kent 2.0 Sports Injection cam kit (FR34K). £202.69 inc VAT and P&P from RallyDesign, not bad. When I get it up and running, I'll come back to this one.

I'm intrigued by increasing the fuel pressure to avoid running lean at high engine speed and airflow rates, but I may have to get on a rolling road to tune up a replacement regulator valve.

Peter