Every Silver Lining Has A Cloud

Guest Dredd

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cantbearsed

Big Jim, As it sems more than apropriate to change all clutch components at one time, most manufacturers DO supply all 3 parts in one box. If you take a look at these boxes (Bright Yellow in the case of LUK ...Rizla..? ) then you will see the individual part numbers of the friction plate (spinner), diaphragm cover and release bearing printed on a label on the front.

This info assists the factor/distributor, fitting technician and even the customer obtain the correct part or parts.

It's not unusual for us to swap a friction plate or releae bearing for a customer. Our suppliers are usually more than happy to exchange one new bearing or unused friction plate for another to keep the customer happy. Not yet tried getting them to supply a custom clutch made from given part numbers as this would probably upset their warranty department, but you never know...

If i get a quiet day this week, I'll haul a couple of clutches off the shelf and measure the various daimeters, spline arrangements and sizes/thicknesses and try to get the correct part numbers down here for some sort of cross ref.

I know we have most Vauxhall, Ford and Rover clutches on the shelf, but as far as I am aware we do not carry Rover 220 Turbo parts on the company. I will double check though.

Guest Dredd

Dale

Thanks, my Spec is a non turbo, so it's the standard 2.0l twin cam T series circa 1995. As of today, the unit is still not out! Looks like RHSC fitted the engine and box to the chassis then welded the panels around them! So much standing back and sratching of head!

As it sems more than apropriate to change all clutch components at one time, most manufacturers DO supply all 3 parts in one box

It's not usual that the pressure plate needs changing every time, you could often get away with just changing the spinner & withdrawl bearing. The different manufacturers started selling 3 part clutches purely because problems now & again occured when using parts from different manufacters together, so by renewing the whole kit & caboodle eliminated these types of problems.

then you will see the individual part numbers of the friction plate (spinner), diaphragm cover and release bearing printed on a label on the front.
Very rarely! it's usually just the assembly number.
It's not unusual for us to swap a friction plate or releae bearing for a customer
you're the first that I've ever heard that would do that!

All the motor factors around the North West will now-a-days only sell you the 3 part clutch assembly, they won't split them, and they most certainly won't mix and match, as their suppliers insist it's that way!!

Guest Dredd

Here is the cause of my problems. It wasn't wear and tear it was this little bleeder which has entered the bell housing during he build or before? Anyway, looks like it had settled for a while before being disturbed and richochetting around the bell housing like those balls from the lottery machine! The finale was the starter ring gouging the bolt, hence the grinding noise I was hearing.

The clutch assembley looked good as did the release bearing, so I left it; especially as the kit I bought was the wrong one. The clutch on the Superspec is a Rover cover with a sierra friction pad or 'spinnner' and a release bearing which is probably siearra based.

The car is still not back together as it turned out, the engine has to be lower to the ground and the car lited up off it. To do this, the exhaust mainfold has to be removed, as does the thermostat housing and plenium chamber to get the clearence. :angry: Not to mention the starter motor, drain the coolant, prop shaft removal etc etc.

Anyway, next weekend wil have it back together again and we'll see if it's cured. :wacko:

post-7-1115587308.jpg

Guest Cantbearsed

With regard to boxed clutch kits: LUK, Sachs, Valeo and Delphi ALL list individual component numbers on the boxes. That covers the 4 main suppliers for clutches in the UK, encompassing about 90% of the market.

2 German companies and 2 French companies.... good eh?

We can change parts or order INDIVIDUAL friction plates, pressure covers or bearings because the company I work for is a distributor, not a factor. We provide a retail service to walk in customers as well as trade sales to factors, garages and franchised workshops. If we can find the reference number, we can order the part.

The only reason they wont split, mix and match at factor level is because of the legal side of warranty claims. If you get it wrong, it's up to you. If they supply the wrong part, they can be held responsible for the possible consequences if it goes pear shaped. It's just easier, simpler and less culpable if they sell the kit "as supplied" under manufacturers guidelines.

Guest Stuart Ainslie
Righto then Dale, What price could you get the spinner; 81GB 7550 AA for then? plus P&P.

This is what's required for fitting the Ford box to the Vauxhall engine.

Jim

I'll be needing one of those soon too, please.....

Guest Cantbearsed

Well chaps, if you really want an 88....whatever it is, I suggest you contact Ford or whoever's part number that is. I will check on various kits and let you know what I come up with.

With regard to price, I'd get it a lot cheaper than you would :lol:

I'll check up and let you know.

What is that particular part number for? it's original intended aplication, cos that's what i'll have to check up to find what we want.

cheaper?, i doubt that, (i know how much it was)

as for what its off, now you sound like the spotty kid in Halfords,( what car, what year, what colour)

:lol: :lol:

But a clue, its ford and its a v6 clutch, year unknown so could be 2,3. 2,4 2,8 or 2,9, could even be the 2,3 diesel,

It came from a company that supplies NOS ford bits.we ask for clutch plate X dia with X number of splines and this is the one being used in 3 VX conversions (4 with mine) and it seems to work perfectly.

Mitch :lol:

Guest Andy Rathbone

that bolt looks like a cover/diaphram plate bolt the ones that hold it into the fly wheel, check your bits Very very carefully just my 2p's worth