Tuning Advice Needed

Guest AWhite

Guest AWhite

I have eventually reconned and installed a new cyl head with big valves (45mm inlet necked, 38mm exhaust), piper 285 cam polished and ported.

Set up the timing and running on the standrd 32/36 DGAV at present.

It has improved performance a little but im not blown away by it.

What is the benefit of fitting a Vernier pulley?

I had all sorts of probs with timing on old head so im not brave enough to tinker with the springs in the dizzy. So should i get a fast cams dizzy from Aldon?

I have a service kitted 38DGAS but i never got it running on old head.

I know this has probably been covered before, but an idiots guide to verniers and modified dizzy would help.

Thanks guys.

The tech support articles on the Burton Power Website cover many topics including fitting and timing in a new cam. You will not get the full benefit if fitting a 285 without a vernier pulley. My car was transformed by very similar mods to yours and I still haven't got round to doing the dizzy.

Nigel

Guest coopsuk

I have just done a similar thing to you however I do have a vernier and I can't say at this stage I'm blown away by it either. I'm a novice to this as well, so all I can tell you is what I have found and hope I'm taking the right course of action.

I'm just about to book it in to a tuning Company to have the timing done, along with the carbs and it dyno tested.

I'm banking on the fact that they will set the carbs up (jets & balance & the likes) do the ignition timing and hopefully I will drive away with everything as I hoped it would be.

I did my head change over the recent bank holiday weekend and spent a lot of time getting True TDC on the block and then setting the correct timing "106 degrees for me" and then playing around with full lift of the values and getting the vernier pully set to keep it exact.

I will say that from just that weekend I can see, that with everything done right, just how much difference a vernier can make, it isn't something I can easily explain but when you have gauges all over the block and then fit the belt without the vernier all the time you just spent setting things up goes out the window a bit.

Rings Burton and ask them to send you a catalogue and in the front is the instructions for setting up using a vernier.

The dizzy, mine is connected to the inlet manifold, and I've been lead to beleive that I will not need to modify mine, if it is set up in this manner?

I will happily e-mail you with the outcome of my visit to the tuners if you want, as I'm trying to get it booked in this Saturday?

Let me know if you want me to PM my results?

Cheers

Coops

Guest coopsuk

Build details are

38 & 44mm values - This is from memory got it written down somewhere at home.

Head is skimmed but don't know how much.

Cam is a Burton's 40/41.

Carbs - Twin 40 Dellorto's With 30mm rolled trumpets & piper cross filters.

Dizzy is unmodified? Vacum type!

Block is a "standard" "NON 205 block", 2.0L pinto, I haven't done anything to the bottom end performance enhancing wise.

Fitted a new water pump, and recently had to replace the fuel pump, and fitted a new PCV to oil catch tank.

I will let you know the outcome of my tune and whether or not I'm happy with the results.

Coops

With out a vernier pully you can only move the cam relative to the crank 1 tooth on the cam pully at a time either side. you may or may not be lucky as it is quite a big jump in cam timing terms. The vernier cam pullies allow you to "Dial in the cam" very acurately. Usualy you get the best benefit by tuning on a rolling road experimenting with settings around the manafacturers recomendations. The distibutor has a big effect and ultimately (Megajolt & Megasquirt look a good option)

some electronic control will release a bit more BHP.

Guest John Walton

You may find that Aldon's cant help with a dizzy.

When I contacted them recently, they could not get the dizzy bodies.

Suggest contacting them, find out the body they need then send it to them for modding

Guest salty_monk

ohh they had them in stock last year when I called. I think it's the standard points dizzy body that they need, off old Sierra Capri or something.

I had the 104 FPR1 (Aldon's own number) which is what you want http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/

I don't have the car anymore or I would have taken the Bosch number off the side for you... Bob Tucker has a points dizzy though & I'm sure you could con him into giving you the part number off the side... :)