Fuel Pipes And Stuff

Guest j0ngreen

Guest mark kingston
Well the SVA Draft document everyone seems to be using is a few years out of date... but it's an easy fix if it fails, if a bit time consuming.

Did they ask if you had any ferrules or other things to stop the rubber pipe working off the end of the copper? You can put a ridge in the pipe by soldering an appropriate sized compression joint olive to the pipe end.

or just use a brake pipe flarer and flare the ends to give a ridge.

we've told you what the inspector thinks!

The flexible pipe must be marked up that it's suitable for fuel! Don't you believe us?

Of course I do. Never argued with you yet, Jim.

It's just that the manual can be interpreted differently in this case and that is what I will argue (in the nicest possible way). I have packed a sample of the pipe FWIW. On the other hand, proving "suitability" implies that a mark of some sort is required.

I will let you know Thursday PM / Friday what the fail list is. :lol:

This is going to be very interesting and informative. They are challenging my assumptions! And I am going to learn things about the regs (not a bad thing). I will get my £150's worth in training alone.

Heh heh heh :ph34r:

Guest j0ngreen

Guys,

Many thanks for all the good, experienced information. :D

Just another one to throw into the pot.

Feed and return, is there any reason why the return is smaller. Vacuum or something. Or can I run the same for both?

Jonathan

PS

Jim, Mitch, I am not still sat in my garage but have a mountain of biscuits though.

:lol:

Guest peter2b2002

Hi , i used rubber fuel hose for both feed and return, must be marked fuel though, both the same dia as i got it in one lot from a local motor factors, be sure to mark it at both ends as feed or return , i used plastic P clips to hold it in place , no probs at my sva

I ran a DFTH weber with feed and return for a while but you don't need the return or a vapour seperator if you were thinking of fitting it. Just run a line from tank to mechanical pump to inline filter to carb. Block off the return pipe on the carb if there is one and use the return pipe on the tank sender to fit a breather. This setup easily runs twin 40's on mine.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest klaxon

I used 8mm O/D copper from a plumbers merchant. Its the same size as the fuel pump entry/exit. I rang the SVA centre and they said its fine.

Its easy to bend if you get an external bending spring (£2 from B&Q)

post-7-1120116742.jpg