Fuel Pipes And Stuff

Guest j0ngreen

Guest j0ngreen

I need to start running the fuel pipes through the car but have a few questions,

Is it best to run flexible from the tank to the engine or can you get away with metal for the section through the tunnel?

I have a standard sender unit fitted to a RH tank feeding a carb setup, what size pipe should I order? 6mm internal feed and 4mm internal return? Are these the right sizes or do I need the imperial?

Should I get braided or is there another type which will suffice? Does the pipe have to be marked fuel for SVA?

Clipping the pipes, Do you have to use exact size P clips or can you get away with oversize use some rubber innertube to protect?

On the tank side, I need to order a locking filler cap and pipe to feed the RH tank, there seem to be a few available in a few sizes. The standard sierra filler fits nicley into the tank rubber, but what would be the size of the pipe to fit over it if I cut it down? And can anyone suggest a suitable locking cap to suit? Also do I need a locking ring?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also can anyone pass on the details of a good mail order supplier as I may not make it to Newark?

Guest j0ngreen

I appreciate that there is a lot of information available on all of your websites and I use the information frequently. However, I am still struggling to answer a few questions:

Does the fuel pipe have to be marked for SVA?

And do you have to use exact size P clips for clipping all pipework or can you get away with oversize and use some rubber innertube to protect?

Thanks again

Guest paul thompson

Hi John,

Metal fuel pipes do not need to be marked for SVA but Flexible ones do. If it is not marked and you have already bought it, then as long as you have the original packaging showing that it is Fuel hose and some of it left over for them to inspect, then I was told by tester that would be OK.

Paul

you are better to run metal pipes through the tunnel area. Some SVA inspectors don't like jubliee clips, and demand the proper fuel hose clips.

The flexible pipe that youe use must be marked up for fuel.

The "p" clips can be larger with a piece of rubber around the metal pipe, (they actually prefer this method)

Why are you doing these now? you're supposed to be nearly ready for SVA, they should have been done months ago! before you fitted panels etc.

Oh dear.

I wondered about the fuel line myself. I bought some black plastic pipe from a local parts shop and it was not marked as far as I know. It was a fuel line according to the bloke in the shop and it shares the same appearance, rigidity and toughness as the plasic pipes off the Sierra. I've got some small pieces of it left to show the SVA man but no packaging.

Err..... it'll be a right git to replace if he does not like it!

Oh well..

Guest Battery Bill

Jon

The flexible pipe that youe use must be marked up for fuel.

Halfords do it marked up with "Fuel", go on you have got a whole day left yet :lol: :lol:

Some SVA inspectors don't like jubliee clips,

Only some ! Ours were happy with Jubilee clips :D

Jim, you're doing it again, theres two of them dont forget.

One in Cumbria (should be now, wasnt on Sunday), whos ready for SVA

One in Padiham whos posted the Q, and is still sat in Garage waiting for our call, and as a way to go yet.

Jon, i have some 10mm copper pipe if you want to call, im in Blackburn not that far really, bit nearer than Penny bridge :D :p :lol:

SVA Draft manual section 15.2 (Fuel system) does not specifically say that the pipework should be marked as such, only that the fuel system should be designed and constructed to be "suitable". As in:-

"Check all fuel system components (eg fuel tank,

pump, filter connectors, etc) and fuel pipes for

• leaks

• security

• suitability of design/construction

• positioning.

An assessment should be made of their

construction in respect of their ability to

withstand the forces, vibration, and

environment to which they may be subject.

Components should be positioned such as to

minimise the risk of fire in the event of a fuel

leak."

..so you could argue that the semi rigid piping, which looks and feels the same as what is on the donor, is OK. Bear in mind it is not the rubber braided pipe I used, but a tough plastic pipe sold as fuel line by a motor accessory shop.

Not long to wait before I find out what the inspector thinks. :)

Guest Gpayne

Gosforth sva would not accept black rubber without being marked fuel hose or with a BS number

I ran 10mm domestic heating copper from tank to carb & 8 mm copper return

then used halfords marked rubber hose for the flexable bits passed ok

Well the SVA Draft document everyone seems to be using is a few years out of date... but it's an easy fix if it fails, if a bit time consuming.

10mm domestic heating copper from tank to carb & 8 mm copper return

Did they ask if you had any ferrules or other things to stop the rubber pipe working off the end of the copper? You can put a ridge in the pipe by soldering an appropriate sized compression joint olive to the pipe end.

Guest Battery Bill

Jon

Did they ask if you had any ferrules or other things to stop the rubber pipe working off the end of the copper? You can put a ridge in the pipe by soldering an appropriate sized compression joint olive to the pipe end.

No Beverley did not ask but you can give it a little ridge by winding a little screwdriver in a circular motion bending out the edges of the pipes, being careful not to damage the pipe internally. :D

Guest Battery Bill

Jim

we've told you what the inspector thinks!

The flexible pipe must be marked up that it's suitable for fuel! Don't you believe us?

Roll on Thursday evening :lol: :lol: God I hope he passes whats he going to be like with a retest? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: