Painting, Will I Die?

Guest daveg

Guest daveg

All

Another disaster :unsure:

I mixed some 2 pack...put it in the gun and sprayed the back of the rear panel...then the compressor went bang :(

Panick I did :D gun full of paint that goes hard in 1 hour...resperator keeping me alive running out of air :unsure: and I need to save the gun thats only had 10 minutes use!

Dave

What a hobby :D

Guest mickmellors

Well dont keep us in suspense !

Did you save the Gun from setting solid ?

Did you mend the compressor ?

Did you finish spraying ?

Did you die ?

? ? ? ?

Guest morty

This is better than Big Brother!

Then again, most things are.

Just out of interest, how toxic is 2 pack?

Does anyone really know?

Is it just a myth put about by air fed mask suppliers?

Me and my dad sprayed a whole car in 2 pack wearing only 3M vapour masks and haven't seen any effects. Should i be worried?

I've got myself concerned now

Morty

Guest daveg

Mick & Morty

Well I saved the gun except its internal filter, but I cannot see why it should need this part as I filter the paint anyway :D and I fixed the compressor (Clarke Tiger 15/60) which has a silly little plastic pipe from the switch assembly to the output of the compressor which doesn't hold very well!

I breathed some vapor but not very much....as 2 pack contains cyanide it won't do you any good thats for sure...how toxic it is I don't know but I will keep wearing the full mask :huh: :unsure:

I will have another go tomorrow...if the compressor packs up again I'll have to fix it properly but its only 3 months old :angry: I have some wicked paint so I hope it looks good

Dave

Guest mickmellors

I am not 100% certain of the details but I know a man that is. My contacts in the Health & Safety world will be quizzed over the next few days and I will report back here.

I stand to be corrected but I believe the 'dodgy' bit is the catalyst which I think is a Cyanide based concoction which can be very nasty if inhaled. I think it is called Cyanoacrylate or something similar.

I suspect that your 3M mask is well short of 'adequate protection' but again I am not sure at this point.

The twin pack paint used to coat vessels on a Site I recently worked on was deemed to be of such high risk that the work was done at the weekend while no-one was around and with operators wearing full chemical suits and positive pressure full face masks. I dont know exactly what that product was but the painters refered to it as 'Agent Orange' which I think was a 'Kill-All' chemical used by america to de-foliate jungle areas in the Korean war.

Let me know the exact stuff you used and I'll get better info for you. There should have been warnings on the can (which you must observe) and the supplier should have ensured you knew what you were doing.

I'll take my Health & Safety hat off now !

Cheers - Mick M

Guest daveg

Mick

You are right...its the hardener that contains "isocyanate" but I don't like to breath any VOC's either...I have a very cheap full face mask and a HVLP gun to reduce the amount of mist

I suspect the advice will be "don't breath any vapour" :huh:

The label just refers to MSDS (which stands for Manufacturers Safety Data Sheet) which I don't have but I have read similar MSDS

If I was spraying every day then I would wear full chemical suits

Dave

PS It would be good to know what the symptoms of cyanide poisoning are so we can be on the look out :unsure:

Guest morty

Mick,

The masks :ph34r: were from screwfix, code 13038-18 (I'd make a link but i'll be damned if I know how. I just put code in product search) They claim to stop gas so I'm not sure either way. :huh:

We were in an extremely well ventilated spray booth at the time, with full extraction, (evening classes) but as air fed masks weren't available, we did our best. It's got to be better than nothing, and i don't think it was any agent orange type stuff. :blink:

Anyway, what's done is done,

Morty

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MadBoutCorners

Well I know this may sound a bit dim, but we are still alive. We came to repaint the car this winter and decided to go for a 2 pack paint (celulose last year)

Having poured and mixed our lovely new paint we noticed that we had no masks left whatsoever ?!?? :o

well we werent able to waste all the paint, so on we went.

Our garage isnt exactly well ventilated either, but even then only by the end of a full coat could we feel ourselves becoming light headed and drunk ?!?!?

open the doors have a breath of fresh air and do the next coat.

That was three mnonths ago, still alive and kickin, i think !!

I painted to Geep in 2 pack last year, it was well ventilated, ie. outside on the drive, I had the rubber masks with the 2 'fly face' filters, and held my breath whilst i sprayed one panel at a time. I'm still here (Just) and some would say that I've mellowed a bit since.

;) :D :p

Short term single or multiple exposure to two pack may do no harm at all or for the unlucky few sensitise you to isocyanates. Yes you can get a bit light headed from the VOC's and to much may kill your liver but thats not realy the main issue. Once sensitised you get a hayfever sort of reaction with runny nose and eyes and if you are realy unlucky you are left with a severe asthma, chronic emphysema (lung damage) and it is possible to have an anaphylactic type reaction leading to death in about four minutes on subsequent exposures to any isocyanates, even superglue. Always use an air fed mask.

Nigel

Guest daveg

All

I am still alive as well :) or some may think :( :unsure:

I used a air feed mask but I could still smell the paint but only very slightly...I hate breathing the stuff.

This is my first attempt at spraying and I have done about 2/3 of the car....it looks reasonable but not perfect. I have a slight orange peel affect :angry:

But the main thing is the insides of all the panels are now not going to rust :D and I can always have another go during winter because one thing for sure its better when the weather is around 14-16` centigrade...

Dave

Guest daveg

Jon

Are you a doctor? ('cos they tend to have black sense of humor :p )

:D :p :lol: I know I WILL die but I would like to finish the 2b first and get the sva :)

Chemistry is a funny thing you know, e.g salt, the stuff you put on your chips is made from sodium and chlorine. Now chlorine is so deadly it was used in WW2 as a chemical weapon :( and sodium is so dangerous that if it comes into contact with water then there is liable to be an explosion :(

So even if a substance contains dangerous elements you still eat it :unsure: :(

Having never been a sprayer I was interested in how other people feel about using isocyanides....I treat the paint with great respect...I suggest others do the same....

Dave