Front Suspension Protection

Jon Green

Oh, look out for the bottom L-shaped brackets on the cycle wing support (the bit the pinch bolt goes through). Cover that edge too. Remember the test is only from the front, the inspector will put his 100mm sphere in from the front, looking for those dastardly projections. You should blunt the edges of the sleeves on the cycle wing support, or cover them too. Make sure any zip ties you use to secure covers have the locking part (with its sharp little tag where you cut off the excess) pointing to the rear of the car.

Good luck

JonB

I see you've used a flexible hose to cover the track rod.

On close examination of your picture it appears that the square bit of the track rod end is exposed (that's the bit you turn it with). You may fail on this, depends on the examiner. Best fit a longer piece of hose.

Actually I'd recommend using pond hose from B&Q. It fits perfectly and is slightly soft. It's all over my cycle wing bracket and suspension. I used it to cover the nut on the top joint as well as the track rod. And it looks pretty good. B&Q sell this wonderful stuff for £8.00 per 3 metre length.

Guest Petemate

Hi Snapperpaul

In the past I've seen pics of the bottoms of the coilovers covered with - wait for it - tyres from remote controlled cars, you know the large soft treaded ones. Does the job good.

HTH

Petemate

Cheers all!

Tonight is my last evening of preparation before the big day so it could be a late one. At least I shouldn't fail on sharp edges on the front suspension now!

I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Jon