Top Speed?

Guest Handlebars

Guest chris brown
Mine used to go 115-120 ish... with the 3.92 diff... about 102-105 with the 3.62 diff.
That works out about the same speed Salty unless you changed the speedo drive when you changed the diff.

Mine now does 110 (indicated) eventually with a 3.62 LSD. But my mate in a MR2 following was indicating 120+ (this was last week in France on the toll roads).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

Sorry Chris... should have said:

That wasn't an indicated speed that was my "worked out speed" using a percentage ratio to get somewhere close... (8% ish from memory).

Actual indicated speed was 95mph in 4th gear... 5th was useless, indicated of about 85!! (3.62 diff) :)

Guest alan rowe

I've driven mine at 125 (accurate as it was using the rev counter which had been varified on a rolling road) - think I could of gone a bit more but that's a bit uncomfortable without side screens

Alan

Guest AWhite

With Big Valve Head and Piper 285 cam, Im can easily get to 110mph on clock which is around 103mph accurate using road angel. The sidescreens make a big difference. This is with a 3.62 diff.

Got this coming back from Newark show racing an over eager Mondeo driver. Don't worry he didn't get passed me. Its a bit of a losing battle at speed in the kit though (wind resistance).

Anybody got a 3.92 LSD lying around ;)

The Gear faces where they contact each other ( through enthusiastic effort or have exceding their design limits), have got so hot as to have caused the metal at the contact faces to become blue in colour, braking down the surface hardness. they then wear and become noisy... The bluing is what is known as "burnt"

What we need is a Weight, BHP, Top speed table. It would be interesting to see what we expect from our cars, what we say we have and what is the real figure.

I am going to get mine on the road pretty much standard, but have plans. If you have more BHP can you drive through the 3.62 diff and get good acceleration, a higher top end and easy cruising.

One thing that i have not heard about is the ratio difference between the type 9 and the MT7. I know that Burton performance do close ratio gear clusters but they cost.

Guest salty_monk

I had 99bhp or 121 flywheel.

Bob Tucker had around 140bhp flywheel both setup at the same place.

We both preferred the 3.92.

Drew will also tell you how much better mine went with the 3.92....

The only one who seems to do ok with the 3.62 as far as I can tell is Chris Brown with his 2ltr EFI... His seems to be the wonder car!! :p Sorry Chris!!

Or maybe it's just cause he's old... :p :lol: :wub: (ooops did I type that out loud?? :D )

Bob is just about to upgrade to a XE 16V engine which should put out close to 200 BHP & then he's going to try the 3.62 LSD - so having tried both in succession I guess he'll be in a better position to tell you if higher power pushes the bigger ratio then - at these power levels I would say yes but not with a Pinto.

Why not ask Paul or Gordon the Cosworth boys, think they are both running the LSD's.

Out of interest I spoke to a guy in Orpington who could fit a 3.92 LSD (similar to Quaife) into a standard casing. He has a road legal Caterham which he races in a series, it's a XE putting out 240BHP what ratio do they use.... 4.1 from memory so that might tell you something..!

Guest chris brown

You need allot of extra power to get any worthwhile extra speed from a Hood as the drag increases very quickly over about 100mph the only thing I can think of with mine is that the screen is fitted with about 45 degree slope back as apposed to the normal of about 20 degrees also cycle wings cause less drag (and lift) than the long front wings. Also only marginally I know but 195 profile tyres have less drag than 205’s. At the end of the day no “open wheel” car is going to be as quick as a reasonably “smooth” closed wheel sports car with the same power. Just look at the top end of racing the Audi R8, Dome Judd etc perform about the same as a F1 car have slightly less power but a higher top speed and are developed for a fraction of the cost of a F1 car due to the aerodynamics being much easier

Guest docter fox
Actual indicated speed was 95mph in 4th gear... 5th was useless, indicated of about 85!! (3.62 diff) :)

are you sure it was a 3.62? ;) did they do a 3.3 or something similar?

if it is, then my speedo is either very wrong, or your just wern't revving it enough :p

i think i have a 3.62 :unsure: but 5th will pull to 100 comfortably, admittedly not as well as 4th which was pulling past 115 on the speedo but i was running out of track ;)

A friend of mines got GPS so I'll have to borrow it and get back to you

Guest pistol

Just went down to Newark last weekend in an elderly Almera GTI no mods and factory wheels/tyre sizes. (2B not finished yet).

Surpised to find my mates GPS reading 63 when the speedo was showing about 70. He suggests the GPS is a lot more accurate. (to the 1/10th MPH)

For the last 8 years I thought I was keeping to 70 and I've been doing just over 60. :huh:

My 2B is a 2.1 std recon engine. I expect the top speed won't be too great, but what I remember of the yellow 1.6 (me thinks) demonstrator I test drove in 2000 it certainly seemed quite nippy with no hood fitted. Looking forward to getting mine completed. :rolleyes:

both my gps units say the same

my mg is doing about 65 at an indicated 70, and far worse the faster you go!

the 2b according to leighton buzzrds rollin road

is

34 35

37 40

49 50

58 60

69 70

first figure being indicated speed

the 2b being completely original drive train apart from the wheels tyres which were 13's and are now lower profle 15's but end up about the same

the gps was agreeing with the rollers

:ph34r:

Guest chris brown
Surpised to find my mates GPS reading 63 when the speedo was showing about 70
All speedo's are the same just think of the claims against the manufactures if they made them to be spot on and were manufactured to a 5% tolerance (a reasonable figure). Everyone who got done for speeding and could show that there speedo was to blame would have a valid claim.