Cheap Seats

Snapperpaul

Saw these and thought with a bit of modification it could work.... However they are to wide for the series 3

Click on this link to go to Argos.co.uk

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK01...tNumber=6210832

to see 'The Car Seat' Contemporary Leather-Faced Manager's Chair. (cat no. 6210832) £89.99*.

Absolutely John. Under no circumstances should something like this be fitted to a car - you can guarantee there's some quality chipboard and staples holding that together.

Best you could do with this is write 'Sparco' on it with tippex, drive up to your local retail park at about 10 pm and sell it to the first saxo driver that slides along on a pair of tea trays. :p

Have you seen the bits of plywood that come with the series 3? in my car ( still building) i have reinforced the coach bolts with large plates inside and square tube outside then bolted through the floor in to a subframe that is bolted to the gearbox support at the front and a rear cross beam. It was to this substantial construction i was going to fit the chairs. The back of the RHE supplied seats is just held on to the base with some plastic hinges and rests on the seat support cross bar, with the base rigidly fixed the seat backs fold a little forward to slot hood or side screens behind, it is the seat belt that secures you in the car. Now this is where your experiences come in, I have looked through the SVA regs and it says nothing about the seat construction but does show a recomended seat attachment rail (looks like the stuff aircraft seats are attached to) at this stage i just intend to use the stuff supplied by RHE more expensive seats will come later on if this method fails. Has anyone had SVA troubles to do with their seats?

Seat strength is more important when you attach seatbelts to them as I did.

However, you have to bear in mind what can happen in the case of lateral and rear impacts if the seatback braks lose from the base while you are sitting in it. Think of what might happen to your lower spine, and whether or not you want to spend the rest of your life peeing in a bag.

Then fit some proper seats!

Seat belts in my car are fixed to the car not the seats. A lot of cars that i have seen at the shows have the basic seats as provided by RHE and the Locost cars.

So what your saying is fit seats from a donor car or from after market suppliers.

Guest TerryBarry

I'd agree with what some other have said re' these chairs, but they are probably not much worse that the upholstered plywood I've seen in a few cars.

But they're £90 each , that would go a long way towards a couple of decent bucket seats and you won't have the bother of taking the bases down to your local tip :rolleyes:

Terry i agree, it was one of those "i wounder if" moments and i new it would spark some interest and comments. My main problem is still that the series 3 is so small and the passenger side is an inch or so narrower than the drivers.

Seat belts in my car are fixed to the car not the seats. A lot of cars that i have seen at the shows have the basic seats as provided by RHE and the Locost cars.

So what your saying is fit seats from a donor car or from after market suppliers.

Not exactly.

What I'm saying is don't take chances with your back.

And as Terry says, they're £90!

Guest chris brown
And as Terry says, they're £90!
It’s got to be worth going that bit further and getting seats that are built for the purpose you are going to put them to. I don’t know if the NW site lists seats that will fit but if not I know Big Jim did allot of research and will be able to point you in the right direction. It’s also worth watching on eBay they do come up at times.

All info greatly recieved, I bought a set of RHE recaro type seats and they did not fit, then had a look at a set of very thin fibreglass seats for a Lotus Elise on e-bay and whilst they fitted they were a fibreglass shell with thin rubber stuck on with double sided tape. I could fit in them but the missis would find it a stuggle ( went for £300 a pair) I will build the car with the plywood from RHE and when i eventually pass the SVA new seats will be my treat. Unless a bargin comes up.