Fuel Pressure Regulator/vapour Separator

Guest Ben Salt

Guest Ben Salt

Basically, the question is do I need this? I'm using a 1.6 pinto with standard weber carburettor, mechanical fuel pump etc. If I do need it, where have other people mounted it - does it need to be completely vertical?

Thanks

Ben

Guest TerryBarry

I've fitted mine.

Some people reckon that it is unnecessary.

I decided to run a return pipe along side the supply from the tank

The angled tube is inset from the side panel (when fitted)

HTH

Terry

Hi Terry

You may have already noticed but, the brackets you have fitted will mark the side panel, as it fits against the side tubes. Re-locate before you dent/mark the panel.

In fact this is'nt needed. I fitted it before my test but have since removed it and the return now comes from carb straight to the tank.

I havnt noticed any differance with it removed.

HTH

Mitch

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Mitch,

I had checked that with a straight edge when fitting the brackets

There is 5mm gap between top of screwhead and inside face of panel on the front one and 10mm on the rear.

Thanks,

Terry

In that case Ben you will only need the feed. Some carbs have a return outlet which has a restrictor in it so that the fuel pressure is maintained at the needle valve, excess fuel returns to the tank but it is not necessary. It may be worth fitting a return line though while you can in case you later fit a different carb or even injection when a return line is required.

Peter.

thanks Peter just how i would have put it :D

Im using a 38 DGAS and it has a return.

As for the side panel just checking before heart ache was caused ;)

I still wouldnt use it, i was told by a ex-ford mechanic that if they failed on original cars the just by-passed them and did'nt bother fitting a new one.

Mitch

Guest timswait

When I built my car I had a lame fuel pump, and had some running problems. With the vapour separator removed it solved these, but then the pump packed up completely a few months later anyway. Since putting a new pump on I've tried it with and without the vapour separator and really haven't noticed a difference. I've had the odd running problem both ways, so I don't think it's connected to the vapour separator. As for performance and economy, I haven't noticed the difference, but I'd have thought Ford had some idea what they were doing when they designed the fuel system with it in.