Summer Tops

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

There was quite a bit of interest shown in the surreys that were on display at Newark. On the back of all the brill work that was done by John Stewarts wife, thanks Glenys, I have approached a sailmaker with a view to making them professionally. I've given him my surrey as a model and a list of modifications like 2 battens that run from to back, to give the roof stability and a permanent shape, and smaller battens down the sides to give it strength. The battens will be removeable to facilitate storegage. I'm not ina rush to get it back as my weekends are full for the next few weeks so watch this space.

Having driven with the surrey on with a little wind deflector it was a pleasant change from being battered. :D. I will give give a more detailed report when I have driven a few miles with it. Might even improve the mpg!!

Cheers

Hi Tim

Saw your 'Surrey ' at newark on Saturday and have been thinking along those lines after seeing one at Donnington last year.

Can you tell me what kind of material you used and a supplier?

thanks

pete

Hi Mat

I thought that when i spoke to Tim at the weekend,

then i realised.

Its the tent material top covering from the screen top to the rollbar, sort of sun shade. like the "hard top" on the picture of the Dax on Hard top post but soft. :D

Mitch

Guest Tim Norman

:D Yes that's a surrey. Our version doesn't use the Hood frame. The Mk II will have strengtheners to give it a more stable shape.

Cheers

• 10 months later...

The posts in this topic are from a while back now, but I wondered if anyone had any follow-ups? I'm interested in making one of these as a sun shade / shower proofer - less than a hood but better than nothing kind of thing.

What's the issue with making it rigid?

Do they flap about a lot?

What keeps it tight?

Will anyone at Stoneleigh have one which I can have a gander at?

Ant

Guest Pacman

Hi

Im looking to buy a hood soon are the surry tops for sale they look good. How much are they ? or are they home made does any one have a design I could follow.