Tyre And Wheel Choices

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

I've decided that I'd like some new tyres for christmas :D so I'd like some help in choosing

option 1) keep the black 13" RS wheels (that were on at Barkston) and buy some

a, Yokohoma S306 185/70 R13 for £34.90 each

B, Toyo Proxes CF 1 185/60 R13 for £35.10 each

any ideas if these tyres are good?

or c, any other good tyres at reasonable prices that will fit?

option 2) re-do a set of 14" pepperpot alloys (probably a dark grey or black) and buy some

a, Bridgestone Potenza RE 720 185/60 R14 for £31.70

b, Yokohoma S306 185/60 R14 for £29.30

c, Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D2 185/60 R14 at 38.30

any opinions on tyres?

option 3) buy a set of 15 inch wheels (price would be an issue so probably 2nd hand) and put some

a, Bridgestone Potenza RE 720 195/50 R15 for £31.70

b, Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D3 195/50 R15 for £37.30

I like the RS wheels more than the pepperpots but tyres wont be as good ;)

so what do you think? any other ideas I've missed?

Guest salty_monk

14" is a bad size. You'll be restricted for tyre choice & they'll be more expensive.

15's are probably the easiest to get good tyres for, Toyo Proxes also come in fifteens & are very good.

Personally I'd stick with the 13's, as the budget options, you're right.. pepperpots look pony... you can get good cheap 13" tyres & also it's pretty easy & cheap to get scrubbed slicks for them too if you wanted to buy 15's & use the 13's as track tyres... :)

Guest the bear

15's are a good option on the road and the tyres listed are all OK for normal road use and depending on your viewpoint can look better.

Keep the black 13's though and when money permits buy 4 A048R's or Toyo R888's (see Griff's trackday tyres thread). This will transfrom the car for the track.

There isnt much to reccomend as a compromise really. As Salty has said 13's in scrubbed or just budgets are always cheap. Depends on the application.

I have the A048R's for road and proper sprint tracks like Barkston and have some nasty budget things for airfield trackdays where good rubber will get ripped to shreds easily and expensively.

I got 10 wheels RS 4 spokes and 4 good tread budget tyres in 13's for £110 by shopping around on ebay. Had to drive to Bolton though :huh:

Guest docter fox

I dont think the tyre choice is a big a problem as it used to be for the 14" wheels, a friends got the Potenza's on his car and I am very impressed with them! a big difference to the avon's he had before, the only problem for them really is the look of the pepperpots and theres only so much colour can do ;)

are the wheels on rizla's xr4x4 that he's just bought 15's?

I don't think I'll be able to stretch to the £232 for the R888's, how much difference in grip is there compared to a fast road tyre like the F1's? and how long would they last?

do they do any good road tyres for 13 inch? reasonably priced?

as for the scrubbed slicks, I didn't think they were to kean on you having them at barkston?

the bear, what will you do with your tyres when you run out of tread for the road? :D

Guest steve_m77
[888's] how much difference in grip is there compared to a fast road tyre like the F1's? and how long would they last?

The 888 is amazing, completely different league to a traditional road tyre. F1's, T1R's etc are all designed for heavy cars (> 1.2 tonnes) and are primarily meant to last a long time and be as good in the wet as possible.

The 888 is designed for lighter cars although people do use them on heavy cars, for dry use and to provide maximum grip. On my Rush the fronts are hardly worn at all and the rears are as worn as I choose to make them with a heavy right foot but I guess mine have done 4500 miles or so and would do another 3000 miles.

It's well worth getting 888's just to try them, you won't be disapointed. In the wet they are probably not quite as good as F1's but for me that's acceptable - I don't drive in the wet unless I get caught out and then I just want them to be predictable and they're OK.

I had Yoko 520's and ACB10's before I bought the 888's. The 520s were lethal and managed to emulate an icy road in the summer ! The ACB10's might be better for track use but on the road they were bad. The 888's are fantastic for a fun car, can't fault them.

Guest the bear

Colways are VERY heavy and IMHO opinion useless for a kit car.

James what will i do with which set?

When the budget are done they are done and when the A048's are not road legal they will be the trackday tyres.

The unsprung weight is the key, if you compared my RS 4 spokes with A048's against a good lightweight 15 with a standard road tyre you would be gobsmacked at the difference. The 15's could weigh up to twice as much.

I had a set of Yoko 520's on a 309 GTI and found that while they stuck like S41T to a blanket when they let go it was very quick, i moved to the Michliens and found them much more progressive. Any one else have any experience with the Yoko's unsticking?