Series 3 Fuel Tank Capacity?

Guest bud.wiser

Guest bud.wiser

Hi.

Being very new to this kit car lark, and having just bought myself a ready built series 3 with a Robin Hood tank and a Sierra fuel sender thingy that only registers 1/2 even when completely full. Rather than leave it until me and my 'Old bucket of slugs' get stuck down some leafy lane in deepest darkest Somerset, I thought you guys could save me the embarrassment of topping up every time I pass a filling station and advise me just how much the Series 3 fuel tank holds?

Kind regards

Russ

I can't find the info about how much fuel you can get in, but a well known problem if you have the Sierra fuel filler tube, is that it goes to deep into the tank and can reduce the filling of the tank by a 1/3rd. i cut a good 2 inches of mine and drilled a couple of holes close to just below the seal in the tank. Its not on the road yet so cant tell you how much it takes. By the look of the size of it i recon about 8 gallons.

Put where you are in your info. As i am still building mine i am always keen to look at finnished series3's

Guest bud.wiser

Thanks guys.

Five gallons is about what I thought, since I'm sticking in about £15 worth of unleaded every 110-120 miles. I take it that a 1984 Pinto is ok on unleaded?

Me and the 'Hood' are in Bristol......Thanks for your help.

Russ

Guest megablade
Me and the 'Hood' are in Bristol......Thanks for your help.

Russ

Are you going to come to your local meet? We meet 2nd Sunday of the month at The Compass, Tormarton.

All are welcome :)

The standard tank fitted in my Series 3 is 20x20x84cm which by my maths is 33600 cubic centimeters = 33.6 litres = 7.39 Gallons less the loss due to the filler tube sticking in to the tank.

As for running an 84 pinto on unleaded - no unless it has hardened valve seats fitted or the head has been changed for an unleaded head. Mine is a 83 engine which I have been running with EcoTIN catalyst pellets in the tank which allegedly cause a chemical reaction with the fuel which stops the valve seats wearing. They do not work! I have done 12,000 miles and the engine is now suffering from valve seat regression. On a recent compression test one cylinder had dropped to 7.9 (should be about 12). Adjusting the exhaust valve restored the compression but the engine now runs rough. I think Ford started fitting hardened valve seats as standard around 1987. You can use an addative with unleaded or use super unleaded or LRP.