Diff Swap

Jon Green

Hi all,

I was down at the scrap yard the other day and saw a diff hanging off a 4x4 sierra. Someone has alreay taken the discs and calipers.

Are all 4x4 seirra's blessed with a LSD?

If they are.... will it just bolt into my existing drum brake rear axle?

Im sure this has been covered before but i can't find the thread.

Cheers

Jon

Guest salty_monk

Yes 4x4's "usually" have the rear lmited slip (unless it's been changed).

It probably won't bolt straight in as it should have lobro joints for the driveshafts & you have the push in type of shaft on drum brake non LSD.

I think there is a way to convert them easy enough so that you can take off the lobro joints & use the diff with your setup, the explanation is on the NW hoodie site from memory...

Dan :)

Yes... take a look here... http://nw.rhocar.org/lsd.htm

Guest ScotMac

Are all the LSD 4x4 diffs 3.62:1 ratio...or can you also get them in the 3:92:1? I saw the note about how to identify a 3:92:1, but didn't know if that was for LSD or non-LSD??

Guest gordon_macnab

4x4 sierras are either V6 or latterly some were 2.0 but these are quite rare so it is possible to have either a 3.92 or 3.62 ratio. I have both in the garage :D

Guest ScotMac

U have a 3.92:1 LSD? And it is just sitting in ur garage???? I can help you out w/ that...free up some garage space, give you some money for ur next RH upgrade....just name it!!!

Guest ScotMac

Can someone tell me the outside dimensions of the sierra rear-end, hub flange to hub flange.

I'll tell you why, as soon as i find out if it is REMOTELY possible.

Thanks, -sm

Guest ScotMac

OK...i've done some more research, and still am not sure it is possible.

So, let me put it out there...i am considering the following rear-assembly for my lightweight:

http://www.deman-motorsport.com/build/image2.jpg

Doesnt look *that* hard to get the differential to mount. So, the main issue would be the suspension. ie, how do get the lightweight suspension arms attached to the t-bird uprights? or can i somehow substitute the sierra/merkur uprights/hubs? Doubt the latter. Then there is also the issue of overall length of the axles matching up w/ the lightweight chassis and suspension arms. Probably would be easier to use deman's suspension arms, and hope the overall length would somehow allow to connect them up w/ the lightweight chassis.

Hmmm...sounds difficult.