Demister - Heater

gomatthome

for space reasons have not use water heater / demister system from the donor. Now getting to fitting heater / demister. Suggestions re supplier / fitting greatly recieved. Have looked at CBS unit has anyone fitted this?

Having seen recent posts on the fit screen / dont fit before sva think i may as well fit hope this proves to be the correct decision.

phil

Guest salty_monk

Have a look on the NW site for ideas on fitting a polo heater... I fitted post SVA no need for demisters (I never needed them despite driving in rain & even snow..)

Dan

Guest chris brown
Have looked at CBS unit has anyone fitted this?
Yes but you do need two, mine went straight through SVA with them. I think I have used them once since and that was when there was ice on both sides of the screen one night when I was going out.

hi

Hve a look at this idea http://www.rhocar.org/download.php?view.9

For a different approach

have a look at steve loats web site for cutting down the sierra heater

http://www.steveandjo.plus.com/2B/

The date you want is April 2003.

Steves web site is very detailed and is a good read ( my Opinion)

Swan

i've recently fitted the cbs full heater kit with the additional demist plenum that i think you're on about. not the little electric units chris brown has. i have a fixed scuttle and the unit is mounted on the inside of the firewall. it's really compact but the fan chucks out loads of air.

i trailed the scrap yards to find better switchgear than the one supplied and found a brilliant alternative.

if i get time tomorrow i'll take a photo and post it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your ideas. Any piccies would be welcome.

Regarding water valves: I fitted two - one is in the heater circuit, the other is in the feed to the inlet manifold. From the beginning, I recognised the need to maintain a water supply to this area, so provided I make sure that at least one of the valves is ON, then this point is satisfied. I usually turn both at once, providing a 100% supply either through the heater or direct to the manifold.

To make this operation more idiot-proof, I tried to locate a three-way valve, allowing me make the switch with one lever. No joy on that. Ideally I would want to operate such a device from inside the car, not to keep lifting the bonnet. Even the expensive 'new' heaters (£140 ish), from say N F Auto Developments, don't supply any switchgear.

So I'll keep looking at e-Bay, plus the local scrappy, for a complete unit.

Cheers

Mike G

There's an easy mod you can do to the Mini unit by replacing the internal motor and fan with the sierra item, which is much more powerful. You just need to cut off one of the sierra drum fans and it all slides inside the mini heater case perfectly:

Guest salty_monk

Mine did that... Put some stop leak in there that'll sort it out... (make sure you buy one of the ones that's compatible with all types of coolant & that you don't need to muck around with flushing etc first, then it's an almost instant fix) :)

polo heater has a built in on/off valve which can be operated by cable as the mini heater is in the mini.

if you put a cross over pipe between the flow and return to the heater the water will still circulate by this pipe when you shut the valve, when the valve is open the water flows through both the cross over and the heater

steve