Handbrake Cable

Grizzly

Hi All,

I'll be needing to make the Handbrake cable inner shorter.

I know there are various ways (solderless nipple etc) but was wondering if anyone could provide their solutions?

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to all!

I drilled out a bolt cut off the end so as to make a small nipple then threaded the shortened cable through and welded with my arc (cheap one from machine mart). this has proved very satisfactory so far not pulled it off. this is one of richards suggested ways.

phil

Guest Petemate

I know Chris Brown has sucessfully done this with the little "B & Q" type clamps, and it passed SVA OK. But I recently read on the Locostbuilders forum of at least one builder who failed SVA on this method. I used a bolt shank, drilled out for the cable to be a tight fit, shaped to fit the lever in the drum, belted with a blunt chisel as per Richard and a spot of weld from the trusty MIG. No probs (so far.... 2000 miles plus)

FWIW

Pete

Guest Battery Bill

Looks a bit cluttered under the car IMHO :wub: :wub:

Also there is more to knock off if the car bottoms out

Whats wrong with the tried and tested way with repositioning the nipple, or using a nut etc? :D

Guest chris brown
Looks a bit cluttered under the car IMHO
I'm not in the habit of laying down and looking under the car Bill. :wacko: But each to his own. B) As for hitting things with the cable, well I think it would be a serious grounding to hit the cable.

Guest Battery Bill

Chris

I'm not in the habit of laying down and looking under the car Bill.

Not even when you are looking for your inertia switch in front of a crowd of amused Hoodies :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p

• 2 months later...
Guest ScotMac

Though i have no idea what "chandlers" is, nor if we have one in the states, but Steve's solution seems to me to be the cleanest.

Not that i have sierra, let alone a sierra hand brake cable to try it out on!!! ;)

Guest wildejon

I'm finishing the handbrake on the car this weekend, judging by this topic it's just just a simple assembly operation no?

Did anyone mount the lever up higher so it is easy to reach?

Guest chris brown
Did anyone mount the lever up higher so it is easy to reach?
Do a search and you will find there are lots of ways of modifying the handbrake so as to get it SVA compliant from the simplest way of just jacking up the front end of the mount to going the whole hog and fitting it on the tunnel top. Also have a look at various members own web sites all have good gen and build tips.