Zero 2.0 Pinto Alternator Fitting

ozz

What alternator/belt combination is anyone else using to fit an altenator to the pinto engine in a zero?

I have a small denso alternator but the sierra belt is too long and the alternator hits the chasis bfore the belt is tensioned.

does anyone know of a smaller circumference belt which will fit?

any help appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Halfords is your friend here. V belts are in a rack organised by length in mm but mixed in with multi-v belts to make it interesting. Adjust your alternator to lie as close to the block as possible. Use the old sierra belt, cut to loop round the pulleys and mark where it overlaps. Measure in mm. Go buy one closest to this length.

Nigel

Halfords is your friend here. V belts are in a rack organised by length in mm but mixed in with multi-v belts to make it interesting. Adjust your alternator to lie as close to the block as possible. Use the old sierra belt, cut to loop round the pulleys and mark where it overlaps. Measure in mm. Go buy one closest to this length.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel

Top tip - done and fitted.

Cheers

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Nigel

Nigel,

Is this true???? :huh: I tried two branches of Halfords and they definitely didn't have racks of V belts arranged in racks by length.

I asked and was told that they were only sold by vehicle. Which branch did you go to? Was it one of their big stores?

Cheers,

Pete

Guest TerryBarry

I might be wrong (I often am)

I thought that the Halfords part number - eg HB 1050a decodes as follows

The three or four digit number is the length of the belt the letter indicates the type Vee; Flat; etc.

V belts are in a rack organised by length in mm but mixed in with multi-v belts to make it interesting
Is this true????
Well,yes. The part numbers refer to the length of the belt in millimeters and the style of the belt single V, multi V etc. As a result, Halfords being logical people hang the belts up in the numerical order of the part numbers. So shortest ones first on the rack and they get progressively longer as you go along the rack, down to the next level and the longest ones get hung up last in order.

Admittedly they are not aware they have done this and they had no intention of doing it but that is what they do. If you ask them if they do it they don't know they do so they say they don't. But you as a Hoodie have to develop the kit car state of mind to see this and use it to your advantage. I don't know of any store that can cope with the idea that a Suzuki swift alternator can be bolted on a zetec engine from a Mondeo and driven with the belt from a 1984 Vauxhall Senator in a homemade spaceframed car with Sierra running gear. (Please don't go to Partco and get a Vauxhall Senator belt. Cut the old sierra belt, slacken the adjustment of the alternator, pull the cut belt into place and mark where it meets. Measure the length and browse the rack for a suitable belt for yours)

Nigel

Hi, I did the above trick to get the length I wanted, then went to my local car spares shop and explained the situation. The guy in there ordered me 3 different sizes to try, and just gave me the money back for the ones I didn't need.

Nick

Well,yes. The part numbers refer to the length of the belt in millimeters and the style of the belt single V, multi V etc. As a result, Halfords being logical people hang the belts up in the numerical order of the part numbers. So shortest ones first on the rack and they get progressively longer as you go along the rack, down to the next level and the longest ones get hung up last in order.

Admittedly they are not aware they have done this and they had no intention of doing it but that is what they do. If you ask them if they do it they don't know they do so they say they don't. But you as a Hoodie have to develop the kit car state of mind to see this and use it to your advantage. I don't know of any store that can cope with the idea that a Suzuki swift alternator can be bolted on a zetec engine from a Mondeo and driven with the belt from a 1984 Vauxhall Senator in a homemade spaceframed car with Sierra running gear. (Please don't go to Partco and get a Vauxhall Senator belt. Cut the old sierra belt, slacken the adjustment of the alternator, pull the cut belt into place and mark where it meets. Measure the length and browse the rack for a suitable belt for yours)

Nigel

OK Nigel, Hoodie cunning strikes again!!! :good: I like it that I now know Halfords range of belts better than the staff, ta :D Will bear this in mind when I come to fit an alternator in my Lightweight shortly - Looks like that will have to be a masterpiece, with the steering shaft, exhaust header pipes and chassis rail all constricting space. Do you reckon you could use a Scalextrix motor as a DC generator instead? ;)

Pete

OK Nigel, Hoodie cunning strikes again!!! :good: I like it that I now know Halfords range of belts better than the staff, ta :D Will bear this in mind when I come to fit an alternator in my Lightweight shortly - Looks like that will have to be a masterpiece, with the steering shaft, exhaust header pipes and chassis rail all constricting space. Do you reckon you could use a Scalextrix motor as a DC generator instead? ;)

Pete

ther are two size alts the better one is the old style its smaller or rover have the same alt that is the same fittings as ford .and coz its smaller there is just a little more room

Guest combatsapph

My Daihatsu alternator on my Pinto - you can even see the part number in the photo - how lucky was that! It's Gates Auto Master 6263MC.

alternatorfitted.jpg

It's in a Westfield but I wouldn't imagine it makes much difference.

Edited by combatsapph