Indicator Repeaters For Iva

Guest jwts

Hi,

I have just been talking to Richard Hall and he told me that for IVA the indicator repeators MUST be mounted on the front mudguard. I've seen reports of cars passing IVA here on RHOCaR and no-one mentioned having the repeaters on the mudguard, neither have I seen a report of a car specifically failing IVA because it didn't have the repeaters on the front muguard.

Anybody know for sure what is required?

John (jwts).

I copied an idea i seen on here some where and modified them to go under headlights they meet spacing height criteria etc (i Think) or have i got to do yet another mod.

Ian

post-818-1249492288_thumb.jpg

John,

According to the IVA manual (section 23) Revision 1 dated 27 Mar 09, it states:

Maximum distance from side (mm); 400 (min separation 500 unless vehicle width is less than 1400, where min separation 400)........ Maximum height 1500 or if impracticable 2300 for side direction indicators and 2100 for front and rear direction indicators..... Min height 350 There is some blurb also on angles of visibility.

It would appear that the side of the vehicle can be judged to be the outer edge of the front wing, so it would seem plausible to presume the front indicators are to be mounted onto the wing. Open to interpretation I think.

Might be worth clarifying with VOSA, if possible.

Cheers

Al

Guest Noddy006
Hi,

I have just been talking to Richard Hall and he told me that for IVA the indicator repeators MUST be mounted on the front mudguard. I've seen reports of cars passing IVA here on RHOCaR and no-one mentioned having the repeaters on the mudguard, neither have I seen a report of a car specifically failing IVA because it didn't have the repeaters on the front muguard.

Anybody know for sure what is required?

John (jwts).

Hi John

For info my sub K failed (at Leighton Buzzard) for repeaters in side of bonnet about 2 weeks ago. Examiner suggested top of cycle wings (Now moved). Hope this clears this for you. I intend to make holes in bonnet bigger and put in vents to disguise and also might help with cooling.

Ian H

Side repeaters angles of visibility are to the rear only, horizontally, from 5 deg through 60 deg from front to back centerline of car. In addition, if mounted more than 750mm above the ground, vertical visibility from 15 deg below to 15 deg above horizontal. With those 'rules' the repeaters virtually have to be on top of the front cycle wings facing back! You could put them on the ends of the mirrors. (The old SVA special exemption on angles for 7 style cars has gone it seems.)

Oh, and they can't be more than 2600mm from the front of the car.

Nigel

Just bought some VW front flashers for mounting on the wings -- they have a "clam shell" orange lens + a plasi-chrome 1/2 shell covering all the back of the lens (GSF Car Parts on E-bay) Would a solution be to make a rear facing hole in the plasti-chrome or does it need to be a separate lamp in case of bulb failure?

It would appear that the side of the vehicle can be judged to be the outer edge of the front wing, so it would seem plausible to presume the front indicators are to be mounted onto the wing. Open to interpretation I think.

Hi Al,

This is not about the front indicators it is about the side indicator repeaters. They used to be OK mounted on the side panel but now it seems they have to be mounted in a more visible position. I'm a little annoyed as I bought some new ones in April and only drilled the mounting holes a month or so ago. Neither of the two pairs I have would look right on the outside edge of the mudguards so now I have to buy a third set and fill the holes drilled in the side panel. Also I've just had my GRP painted and I went to a lot of trouble to ensure all the necessary holes were drilled before having it painted. Now I'm going to have to drill this lovely new paintwork :( .

This new requirement is not clear looking at my copy of the IVA manual. I think Longboarder is on the button, looking at my old copy of the SVA manual there was a special mention of 'Lotus 7' designs which is not included in the IVA manual. So the problem is not a new requirement but the removal of a previous exemption.

If they keep moving the goalposts I'm never going to get this thing finished...!

Regards,

John (jwts).

I got it now been a bit slow understanding this one so i put 2 big holes in my scuttle 2 nights ago and fitted side repeaters that cant be seen from behind my rear wing unless i make some perspex rear wings. So the wing mounted indicators you can buy as longboarder says would have to be fitted backwards as you would still get a problem trying to view to iva dimensions.

Guest robert elms

Hi all

I had IVA 2 weeks ago did'nt say anything about the side repeaters but did say i had too many indicators seeing as i had side front cycle wing indicators and indicators in the nose cone.Best thing i thinks is pop the side repeaters on the sides just under the bonnet and then repeaters on the cycle wings jobs a good n.