New Member Looking For Advice....

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Just joined the forum in the hope that you lot can help me out....

Hope this is posted in the right section...??

I have started getting a real itch to own a Robin Hood for a while, but I am a little confused as to the variations that I have seen..... :huh:

I am not interested in building (at the moment), so am looking out for an older completed car ready to run.

Always a good number available on evilbay

What I am getting a little confused on is the variation in models. So before I start placing bids / placing offers I want to build up my knowledge base

Can somebody give me an indication on the list of the various incarnations of the Robin Hood upto the latest Zero. Only thing I can understand is the 2B....but I have seen a few adverts with Series 2 etc....

I am also after seeing one in the flesh and if there are any Hood owners in the Chorley/Preston area I would love to get chance to see one a little closer

Are there any particular models that should be avoided, or have certain things in particular to look out for ? I understand that as they are Kit cars every variation could have good and bad examples...but agian if you dont ask .....

I am not looking for a track race car at all, just something to go for a trip out in the vast number of hot sunny days that we get to enjoy in the good North West ..... :unsure:

Thanks in advance

Dave

Guest MarkB

Hi, welcome to the mad house we like to call home, all the models of Robin Hood are listed on this site http://nw.rhocar.org/ but for some reason it seems to be down at the moment, however im sure somebody from your area will be along soon to organise you a look round a kit, if not, look out for events and area meets getting listed and pop along to one of them where hopefully you will get to see quite a few

All depends on budget less than £3000 and itwill be an early robinhood pre 2b or a rough 2b upto £4500 should get you a nice 2B beyond that you are in zero/mk/westfield money. there are good and bad ones in every type depends on the builder / owner. . Take your time its a buyers market at the min.. good luck

my 2p worth .the 2b seems to be the most spacious ,i went to look at a few last year when i bought mine,i couldnt fit inside a 3a ,where as a 2b i have loads of space.

I live in barnsley not that close i know,but your welcome to pop over and ill take you for a spin and or have a good look round mine

Guest david_l_perry

my 2p worth .the 2b seems to be the most spacious ,i went to look at a few last year when i bought mine,i couldnt fit inside a 3a ,where as a 2b i have loads of space.

I live in barnsley not that close i know,but your welcome to pop over and ill take you for a spin and or have a good look round mine

Thanks for he initial comments guys. Shame that link link is down as the list of types sound just like what I am after. The comment above is very much the sort of info that helps me, as I am let's say, not shy on eating a few pies - the diet can start tomorrow I keep saying.

The 2b is the one I am keeping my eyes on.

Why do some have shocks mounted outboard and some inboard, was that just a build option, or an older model varient ?

Again any more comments greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I will find somebody fairly close with a 2b to check over otherwise a trip to Barnsley would be no problem, and thanks for the offer.

Dave

Guest Alan_builder

Hi and welcome.

You may need to join as a member not just a community user for the link to work. Cost £15 or £16 via PayPal. You get the details of the local area Sec who you should talk to and request from him the home call below,

If you offer Beer and a Bacon Butty (hobnobs seem to work just for those next door) you will get more Hoodies turning up, ask for a home call and make your offer. Make sure the day is dry and there are no conflicts with other events.

All 2b afaik have outboard shocks..some are earlier sliding pillar affair ,and some are the later double wishbone ones.

I have sliding pillar and i wont be paying to convert it,just gonna enjoy it for what it is.

Dave,

Like you I'm a novice too, but I spoke to GBS (Great British Sportscars) who evolved from Robin Hood Cars. If you email them info@greatbritishsportscars.co.uk and mark it for the attention of Richard Hall, he will is very helpful. Or call them on (01623)860990.

Just be careful of stuff on fleabay! I have found, like with other cars, it can be (but not always) the sellers last resort, or a non-enthusiasts selling medium.

I have decided to ONLY buy a car advertised on Pistonheads or in the for sale sections of clubs like this one.

I don't think we will be competing to buy the same cars, as I live the other side of the country to you!

Guest Alan_builder

Hi David and again Pond,

There are quite a few models:-

S7, 3, 3A, Exmo, subK, 2B, Hood, Superspec and then the Zero.

The S7 has 2 variants, the 2B has 3 main and may be 4 Chassis revisions and the Zero 2.

The early 2B's used sliding pillars like Morgan. Unlike the Morgan they have a bad reputation for road holding, The engineering and setup maybe?

The 2B/4 has mini MacPherson struts as dose the subK. Plenty of rally cars use the same system without any issue. May not be able to set it up for the track to the optimum level as the double wish bone can be.

2B double wishbone. They need sorting as their geometry is wrong out of the box. Not a big problem and then they are as good as any other race / kit car.

one of the 3's has inboard shocks.

The first RH was based on the Triumph Herold.

You will need the web link to see the full details and pictures of each.

Your first ride in a RH will be a white knuckle job when driven slowly, take courage. Your first drive is an ear to ear smile.

Happy hunting, Look on the board for you Area Sec always an excellent starting point. He can email his area direct with your invitation for beer and butties.

Dave have a look at:- North East Doors Day. 21st July look on this forum, some people are going, join in.

Sorry snapperpaul I won't be changing my 2b/4 (McP) for wishbones for a lot longer, may be never, it's sorted.

Just my opinion but if you go for a 2b which is a bigger but stronger and very safe ( it basically has a roll cage for a chassis) try and get double front wishbone now, you'll probably want to change later and resale is keener

Just my opinion but if you go for a 2b which is a bigger but stronger and very safe ( it basically has a roll cage for a chassis) try and get double front wishbone now, you'll probably want to change later and resale is keener

I do beg to differ a little on the resale front.tazzzman had no issues selling his pillar 2b for top money.if the car has been well built.well specced and is in good condition .selling isn't an issue.I bought mine with a rubbish dash and normal seats as I knew I was going to change this.

I

im Area Sec and live very close, chatted to Dave earlier, and the invite sent, but as normal welcome to the mad house and enjoy the very steep learning curve,

Mitch

Guest david_l_perry

Thanks again guys. Hopefully seeing Mitch next week (lives literally round the corner from me ! ) the basic picture is certainly getting clearer on models.

Love the fact that you can pre order a site visit from a few hoods with the promise of a few butties.....to be honest it's almost a good enough reason to buy one and join the club full tilt for all the free bacon butties.....(quickly works out the amount of buttes I need to eat to get back the outlay of a car....)

Dave