Steering Notchy ...been

maccavvy

Been out today to put some miles on after the rebuild.

All seems ok few small issues..manifold touching bodywork

I can sort that easy.

But just off center the steering feels notchy.

I'll pop the gaitors off to check all's ok ,New rack should be fine,but what Can I lube it with and the column too ?? It has the bearing mounted on the bulkhead.

Got 40 miles in ..it's a start

If the new rack is a reconditioned one you might find that the rack itself is worn in the straight ahead position and the adjuster is causing you to feel a change in resistance as the column pinion meets the unworn sections. My rack was lubricated with a special grease at the reconditioners but never found out what it was. The other thing that can cause the notchy feel is a worn column uj.

Guest 2b cruising

Could be a small number of things.

Angle to acute on column uj's. The straighter the line of travel the better.

Siezed uj's. No lube point so can damage bearing serfaces when left unused if seals have gone and water damage occurs.

Steering column top bearing.

Finally befor removing rack to check it, remove/disconnect track rod ends and see if wheels move smoothly from lock to lock.

This is just to make sure that the top and bottom swivels are not siezed. Very rarely happens as play in ball joints lead to more often changes for new parts.

Now the rack is separated from the system, very lightly move by hand on one of the track rods through its full travel.

Remember no load on it now so any notching will be a lot harder to feel.

Basically, start at the easy bits and work your way in.

the angles are exactly the same as before the accident.

the ujs are not seized I had to remove the column link so that's ok .

top and bottom ball joints are brand new so should be ok.

like I say its just off center. ill pop the track rod ends off later in the week and see what happens.

can I lube it up with high temp grease or does it need something specific.

no idea if the rack is recon or not. bought 2nd hand with a complete front end .

Hi I also have fitted the bearing on the bulkhead but found steering notchy then I realised I had to pull the steering column up a bit as it was rubbing somewhere just off center inside the column

so I undone the two UJ bolts and pulled the steering wheel up about 10mm eld it with a spanner as a spacer then done the bolts up - steering now perfect

Checked and lubed the ujs..I wonder if being close to the manifold isn't great..

Found a loose upper ball joint..oops..

everything else seems fine..

been for a short spin..all seems to be fine now..

sorted the bodywork touching the exhaust and new bobbins..time to rack up miles .

hopefully good weather for Stoneleigh at least.

• Like 2