Changing Cam Belt

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

I'm changing the cam belt on my old 2b but I need to remove the pulley on the crank shaft it's a twin belt pulley, I've done it before but for the life I can't remember how I got the dam thing off, my 3 leg pulley won't fit as its too long as the center screw hits the cross member, the only thing I can think of is to undo the engine mounts and jack up the engine so the 3 leg puller fits, does that sound right, or I've seen 4 taped holes that go through the pulley , I

might use those to remove the pulley , sound right?

peter2b

Slacken the bolt and whack the pulley with a hammer to break its bond with the crankshaft.

If you're lucky enough to have threaded M8 holes in the face of the pulley, bolt a piece of steel over the end of pulley and bolt, and unwind the bolt with a ratchet spanner.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Whatever you do, just keep in mind the it has aluminium parts behind it.

These will crack or break without notice or effort if abused. Red face time will occur. 😡

Guest peter2b2002

Slacken the bolt and whack the pulley with a hammer to break its bond with the crankshaft.

If you're lucky enough to have threaded M8 holes in the face of the pulley, bolt a piece of steel over the end of pulley and bolt, and unwind the bolt with a ratchet spanner.

thanks I just found those holes and some bolts,

peter2b

Guest chris brown

I made a puller, just a piece of 6mm x 25mm steel with 3 holes (2 m8 to line up with pully threaded holes and one a m11.5 in the middle)I then welded a m10 nut to middle hole.

Guest 2b cruising

If you put something behind the pulley to stop the 8 mm bolts hitting the engine, them alone will draw the pulley off.

Have you wiggled it about quite firmly first. This usually works as they are easy to get off unless you used shaft lock on it last time.

Guest peter2b2002

guess what , looking in my old tool box I found a piece of 25mm plate with 2 holes in it with 2 bolts and nuts in it,

15 min later pulley off , new cam belt on ,got it timed set the dizy ,just got to put the radiator back in , fingers crossed

peter2b

what else have I forgotten