Rear Diff And Lsd Options

Guest Jay Paul

Guest Jay Paul

I have a lsd from a Granada, it has rear disks. Ok it's a 5 stud fitment but I'm just thinking outside the box.

Maybe it's worth getting hold of a complete rear axle from granny land and swaping the hubs to four stud fittment.

Possibly a way to lsd and rear disks.

thats a idea so just cut 1 stud off then and it be a four ............................ ok i guess not

as i said this is all new to me so looking for best options

You'd need 4 stud hubs from a disc brakes axle because they have the bigger bearings that the Granada axle needs. They're not easy to get hold of cheaply.

Option 2 is to weld up the stud holes in the Granada hubs and get them redrilled.

This is what I did when I used a Granada diff. I bought the diff cheap, then bought the beam, arms and brakes as a unit. I found out my diff had 108mm joints and the hubs were 100mm. You can't change the diff flanges so I needed 108mm shafts which are rare and pricey. I eventually got 2wd cossy shafts which I rebuilt with new joints and I bought new 108mm hub shafts and had the hubs welded and redrilled.

It's all in now,looks good and is the strongest rear end I can fit but it was a load of hassle and expense and I wish I'd bought a complete axle to start with.

This seems to be getting very complicated. I did my swap from open 7inch diff to LSD 7inch diff in 2008 and it went OK in less than a day. First check is the diameter of the exposed bits of the halfshafts as there are variations. If yours are close to 26mm then there are lobros available that are direct replacements for the inner tripode joints. I got mine from the local motor factors in Plymouth. Fairly simple job. Unbolt prop and hub carrier plates. Destroy tripode cans. Pull halfshafts out of diff. Remove old diff. Put on new lobros. Fit new diff. Bolt up lobros.

It all went without a hitch apart from the lobros. One went on fine. The other must have been a few thou thicker and I could not get the circlip in the groove. Back to the factor and a new lobro went on no problem. Job done.

The beauty of this is you retain the old beam, halfshafts, hub carriers and drums. Brakes remain balanced, still bleed easily and the handbrake works better than a disc one. Job takes less than a day.

It was also the third most useful upgrade I made to the car. (Best was tyres, 888s and second best shocks.) (Worst quick rack)

So try measuring the shaft diameter. You may be lucky and have 26mm shafts.

Nigel

post-21-0-51389600-1474150275_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-08795500-1474150284_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-30012100-1474150292_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-66232200-1474150299_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-72152800-1474150308_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-03675800-1474150317_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-78527700-1474150325_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-51755900-1474150332_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-38040100-1474150341_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-81115200-1474150351_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-20946500-1474150360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

I now have a quaife ATB of 3.54 ratio in my lotus.it was a 3.99 open English side to start with.

Is it worth it, well that's a matter of opinion and choice.

Yes you will get better traction, yes it can be more stable under braking. Yes it may get some getting used to.

No you will not notice any difference what so ever if you drive like you got Miss Daisy in the seat next to you, or if you don't like to explore the A470 like it's the last road with a curve in it.

A lot of the time it can be bragging rights in the local, but to be honest it's seldom noticed in cars like ours. It may increase sellability as opposed to value.

Before I get the obvious incoming, I swapped to the ATB because the guys that rebuilt my 2000E box and installed the new diff in my casing had a new one on the shelf at a drop dead price.installation was free as they were rebuilding mine anyway.Right place Right time.

If not I'd still have the open diff. And NO, In case your thinking I can't tell the difference either.

Hence why I say it's a personal choice.

i have said for years that a LSD on cars as light as ours has little benefit in the real world driving your likely to do, and unlikely to be worth the hassle or expense of fitting one.

I was the person who put the article on the NW web site, the car being done on both diff job and discs job is mine.

The only noticeable difference with fitting an LSD is that on a hooligan drive off, with the open diff you leave one long black line when one wheel spins, with the LSD you leave two shorter lines as both wheels spin.

With the LSD until you get used to it, again when driven hard, on hard cornering you can get a feeling of understeer as it wants to push you in a straight line, but you soon get used to it.

• Like 1

Guest Jay Paul

Thanks for all yourights input guys um still learning about the car including driving it and decided that I have more pressing issues to deal with before I attack the back axle

the cat for me is just a toy and wI'll be garaged and up on blocks over winter probably as I've said in other threads I was going to sell it and buy a more modern 1 but die to south Wales weather being totally shocking I'm going to stick with what I got and fettle with it and slowly improve it over time and if a complete Bolt on kit pops up I will then look at it and see what happens