Noise Level Manipulation....

Shaft

Hi all,

I'm after some advice please on the do's and do nots with regard to packing my exhaust

with a suitable item / items to help meet the 99Dba for the IVA.

How to do it and wheres best to place the said items? :unknw:

It's a standard GBS silencer fed by a St/St 4 into 1 manifold.

Thanks in advance, :hi:

Nick.

Guest mower man

My honest opinion is don't bother ,why spoil a really nice spec car p***ing about with an undersize inefficient bean tin,get in touch with MK sports cars and buy one of their repackable silencers ok you are looking at 150+quid but it does the job with no worries Ihave no vested intrest in the company but Ibought one 2years ago noprobs were in DERBYS are you?pm your post code and I'll have a ride to see you Imnot working so we can arrange atime to suit mower man [mick] :clapping:

My honest opinion is don't bother ,why spoil a really nice spec car p***ing about with an undersize inefficient bean tin,get in touch with MK sports cars and buy one of their repackable silencers ok you are looking at 150+quid but it does the job with no worries Ihave no vested intrest in the company but Ibought one 2years ago noprobs were in DERBYS are you?pm your post code and I'll have a ride to see you Imnot working so we can arrange atime to suit mower man [mick] :clapping:

Lol,

i know that one mate... a ha'penny o' tar as they say, but i'm having to save up for the IVA as it is and then the rolling road on top of that.

I'm not bothered about the noise myself, just have to appease the IVA dudes for one performance only.

PM sent,

Nick.

i rolled up some chicken wire with stainless scourers trapped in it and shoved it in the long side of the exhaust.

dba dropped from 106 to 97.5.

if i get time this week i will pull it out & take photo.

Cheers Paul

Cheers Paul, pics would be excellent mate, many thanks.

Nick.

Guest Getting There

Hi

How loud is it? When I went through the SVA mine passed no probs with the standard setup (4 into 1, then standard can). I have a very good DB meter I can post to you if you need one.

Cheers

Chris

Guest peter2b2002

I did the same as CMA for the sva on my 2b, went from 106 down to 98 make sure you put something behind them in the tail pipe cos they will blow out due to the back pressure

peter2b

Hi

How loud is it? When I went through the SVA mine passed no probs with the standard setup (4 into 1, then standard can). I have a very good DB meter I can post to you if you need one.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, not measured it yet mate. It's probably just me being a worry merchant. Thanks for the offer of the DB meter, a really kind gesture, but Dan bought me one round tonight.

Regards,

Nick.

if you can angle the exhaust outlet at the ground it will also help. exactly the same as if someone talks straight at you its louder than if they face to the side.

hth

Hi Mr Zed, All done mate. it points down at the floor at @ 45 degs.

Regards,

Nick.

I used a decibel insert from Demon Tweeks or CBS, cheap easy to fit and easy to remove

Hi Paul, like THIS one mate? seems a good price if it works??

Regards,

Nick.

I did the same as CMA for the sva on my 2b, went from 106 down to 98 make sure you put something behind them in the tail pipe cos they will blow out due to the back pressure

peter2b

Hi Peter,

How many did you pack in and did you put them before the silencer?

Regards,

Nick.

Guest mower man

Iwould advise all to read the spec sheet on this device !the co has put in a warning about possible engine damage!! ,this is why I would be very wary about fitting any thing that restricts flow.Ihave used a similar devise to get a rally car through noise test but it was removed the minute the tester gave me the thumbs up ,ok use one sensibly ,don't let the tester see you remove it,and don't run the engine for more than afew mins ,brillo pads will exit on their own but it would be rather embarrarsing if they come out before or during your 500 quid test :acute: as before put aproper silencer on mower man :good: 8P

Nick

I removed the exhaust today to get a pic of the wire & scourers I added for iva

but its empty-- it must have melted & blew out.

it was a loose roll of chicken wire about 600mm long with 6 stainless scourers trapped in it.

hope that helps

cheers Paul