Wilwood Brake Squeal

Guest scottie686

Guest scottie686

hi all.

I've bought a pair of Wilwood powerlite callipers and mintex pads. prob i have is after about 30 seconds of driving i get horrendous brake squeal! especially when coming to a full stop! it is so loud! does anyone have any good tricks to stop or at least reduce the amount of squeal?! going to try copper slip, but thought i'd see if there was anything i could try first.

scott

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Scott

You have answered your own question.

Give every thing a good dust down and carefully apply a small amount on the edges and back of the pads.

Won't hurt to give the retaining bits and bobs a smear also.

Might be worth stripping out pads and checking for any contamination. Grease or oil contamination can cause squeal and can't be removed from the pad material. New discs come coated in a preservative which must be cleaned of with a solvent like thinners. If not done then it may contaminate pads to cause squeal. This does 'sand' off the pad and you can clean the disc with thinners.

Copaslip sparingly applied to the back of the pad and the corresponding contact ring of the piston is safe according to their data sheet (although I did see a warning on a tube) and will often reduce squeal. Also check everything is bolted up tight.

Sometimes the noise just settles after you bed the pads in properly and sometimes it doesn't. New pads of the same type may work absolutely fine.

Nigel